Who has received an email confirming the shipping of their Librem 5 USA? I believe they were getting them up to parity soon.
Nothing yet. Though I should be near the back of the USA line.
Order Date: Late Jan 2021
Order placed May 26. 2020. Received notification email June 1, 2021. Received device June 13, 2021.
I think I’ll be one of the last as well. Late April 2021, nothing yet.
Another week has passed–any other phones delivered to people here?
Nothing on my end.
I got my shipping email on June 1st to confirm my address but I opted to have them hold my order until CE/FCC certification is done.
I originally ordered a L5 in September 2017 and upgraded my pre-order to a L5USA in December 2019.
End of the week report. Nothing. Zilp, zero, nada.
So, based on what Purism told us beginning of June, new orders placed would be fulfilled in 6-8 weeks. Purism has also previously stated that 10 business days (2 weeks) is considered normal turn around for orders post parity. So, doing the math, would this mean that all preorders should be fulfilled within 4-6 weeks?
Since we just finished week 4 of June, anyone case to make wagers on receiving our phones over the next 2 weeks?
I just bought mine from a reseller. Not waiting any longer. Will refund my order when it’s my turn in line.
Gonna bump this one back to the top of the pile. We have now entered the 3Q 2021, once again passing Purism’s estimates of achieving shipping parity and feeling no closer to receiving my phone. Hopefully, we’ll receive some good news with the next monthly update.
So, I sent an email to Purism today asking about the status of my order, here is their response.
Sadly we were not able to start shipping when we planned, hence that estimate did not come true. As things stand now we will have enough devices manufactured to fulfill all Librem 5 USA PRE-orders within next month or so. We will send a pre-shipment email to you to confirm your address a week or two before your pre-order is ready to ship.
As always, we are grateful for your support and patience!
“Within the next month or so.”
Is it, even if you knew what the policy was when you ordered? According to your post history you only ordered the phone in the past couple of months, well after the current refund policy went into effect.
Does the ACL apply to foreign companies that you deal directly with?
In any case, the ACL makes clear that your rights in a “change of mind” situation are limited.
About what I predicted a week ago:
I hope Purism changes their strategy here. Please, only provide real and honest estimates, even if that sounds like, “we don’t know when we will reach shipping parity, but likely not within the next 8 months.”
So you’re filing a complaint saying Purism didn’t ever intend to supply your phone? That seems misguided at best. Purism is likely not at fault under this standard because of this part:
This part of the law is not intended to cover businesses who genuinely try to meet supply agreements, for example, if:
- the failure to supply was due to something beyond their control, including the act or omission by another person
Purism might be bad at foreseeing delays, but they do seem to be genuinely trying to fill orders.
Then I guess we’ll see how it plays out, seeing as how it depends on information we don’t have.
Still seems scummy to me to retroactively object to terms you had full knowledge of going in.
Why don’t you just sell your order on ebay?
You have a far better chance of getting some of your money that way. Because, you know, those of us in Canada and USA don’t give a flip about Australian laws.
The table that you are quoting says “possibly in Q3 2021”. So at this stage your situation has not met the conditions from the ACL that you quote i.e. unable to supply the product within the timeframe indicated.
No argument from me that $2,000 is not a lot of money.
“planned” and “possibly” are the key words here. That table hasn’t changed since the post was made in April, before you placed your preorder.
Preordering carries risk. You presumably assessed that risk, decided it was satisfactorily low, and unfortunately things didn’t work out as you expected. Your attempt at complying with their refund policy was
and it hasn’t been your turn in line yet. So you now have decided that you’re not subject to your own risk-reward calculation and are asking your government to protect you from the consequences of your decision.
Yeah, I’d say your $2,000 is stuck with them. It’s unfortunate, but it’s not like they’ve abandoned their goal of getting you your phone. It’s just going to take a little longer.