Librem 5 USA VPN service

My question, Is a VPN service part of the software bundle on Librem 5 USA?
Thank you, dav69

1 Like

As far as I am aware, the Librem 5 USA runs the exact same software as the regular Librem 5 and has no bonus features (e.g. like a VPN).

1 Like

Purism provides a VPN service for any device, not just the Librem 5: https://librem.one/

I use proton vpn, but I don’t have a Librem 5, so I can’t say it would work well on the arm architecture without some tweaking.

1 Like

forgive me for asking, maybe a silly question? coming from iOS and new to the linux environment, the way to install a VPN service looks like a complicated procedure?
being on-line downloading a service, connecting… the IP address for everybody to see?
how does this work?

If you want to hide your browsing while you download and set up the vpn, you could download it with Tor browser, although that just pushes the problem back a level (your IP and browsing history is visible while downloading Tor browser).

You could download the the VPN application via VPN or Tor browser on a different device, then transfer the VPN application to the Librem 5 via wired USB-C connection, without ever connecting the Librem 5 to the internet unprotected.

Although, I’m guessing such measures are unnecessary, considering that you come from iOS. Probably you exposed your real IP to the iOS app store when you downloaded the iOS VPN application.

So probably all you need on the L5 is to download and install a VPN application and start it up. Then your browsing will be somewhat protected from everyone except your VPN provider.

1 Like

One more point: I’m not sure it makes sense to be concerned about downloading VPN with your real IP. Yes, the site you download from will know your real IP, and anyone snooping your traffic will know you visited that site, but essentially the same will be true any time you use the VPN. That is, your VPN provider will know your real IP and anyone snooping your traffic will know you are using that VPN server. So really, the concern (unless I totally misunderstood) doesn’t make much sense to me.

3 Likes

Thank you for helping out.

1 Like
  • Research VPN providers; read up on their background, the owners, their features, etc.
  • Decide which VPN provider(s) you’re willing to trust.
  • Download the Linux package from their website.
  • Verify the checksum/signature of the package to make sure it hasn’t been tampered with.
  • Install it.
  • Configure any preferences you want to adjust.
  • Log in with your credentials, and optionally save the credentials in the UI so you don’t have to enter them every time.
  • Connect to the VPN server of your choice (i.e. a particular locale, or country).
  • Browse.
  • When finished, disconnect.
  • Repeat at will.

It’s basically the same on any device, but some VPN client software might not work on the Librem 5, so you may need to try different providers’ clients (before subscribing). You can also sometimes forego the client, and log in via command line in the terminal, although that may be less convenient.

I’ve read in the forum that Wireguard works. I’ve tried AirVPN’s client and it did not work, although that was a while back, and on the previous Librem 5 software version.

There may be the possibility of using a generic VPN client with your credentials for the chosen VPN provider.

Thank you for explaining but for new users of linux this might be a lot to swallow in the beginning. That’s why I asked if there is a possibility to have a VPN service ready made for the Librem 5, 5 USA that can be used (if wanted) straight out of the box.

I imagine the Librem One suite will be fully operational on the L5 at some point.

By the way, how do you do it in iOS? :no_mouth:

It installs itself.

It can be the same in Linux for any software you get out of the included “store” aka software manager. Sometimes you do have to download an application from a website, if it’s something you need/want but isn’t in the store (repository). Installing this way can be as simple as double-clicking the downloaded file, or typing one simple command in the terminal.

Once installed, it appears in your menu, and you start using it.

Some VPN clients might be available in the store, others not. But it’s not very complicated.

Eventually, Librem One will be in the L5’s software store, I imagine, and you’ll just click to install, then enter credentials.

Thank you for trying to make it a soft landing! appreciate it…

Does OpenVPN not work for you? Not very GUI, but it should work if you need a VPN.

I have no idea, I am waiting to receive my first Librem 5 phone. on iOS I have used several VPN services including Perfect Privacy, Surfshark to name a couple.
Linux is totally different, far as I understand reading about it. Again I will probably go with the easiest one, installing I mean.

Yes. You might wonder whether the OpenVPN client is installed by default. Is it?

For the target market, you would hope that it is installed by default.

No, it’s not installed in byzantium.

1 Like

Gadmin-Openvpn-Client and Gadmin-Openvpn-Server are in the store, allegedly non-adaptive.
I’ll check it out.

EDIT: Launches, but not adaptive to the screen. Doesn’t accept my password for some reason (requires admin privileges).

1 Like

Yes, I’ll answer this as a newbie to the Linux environment, it will give the new user time to learn and adapt.