Librem 5 USB Mount to Linux

I’ve previously seen comments from a number of Librem 5 owners say that they have connectivity issues when connecting directly to a hosts USB-C port but that there is/was no such connectivity issues when connecting via a hosts USB-A port.

1 Like

For me, there are a few reasons as to why I favour a localised network via Ethernet over USB rather than WiFi.

Firstly is performance and stability, I see a very significant increase in stability and performance with Ethernet over USB in comparison to WiFi. In terms of performance I see gains in the region of 500~1000+% depending on whether I’m working on the SD card or eMMC drive.

Secondly, there is a convenience factor for me, I have it setup as such that when the Librem 5 is attached to the desktop machines via Ethernet over USB, the Librem 5 gets auto-mounted. The Librem 5 essenially presents itself as having the convenience and functionality of simply plugging in a USB flash drive and immediately being able to drag files to/from the device.

1 Like

Did you try barrier to operator the L5 and any other Linux computer with 1 keyboard and mouse?

If nothing else, USB-C allows you to plug the cable in the wrong way round at both ends whereas a USB-A port can only be wrong at the Librem 5 end. :frowning:

Of course it shouldn’t matter but there is ample evidence that for some devices it does.

Mine was great until
"usb0: disconected
" Ethernet (configfs-gadget.gl),DE:15:FB:2>

Help?

Was a storage device disconnected from your system?

It’s been a long time since i’ve worked tech,18 years and I’m rusty with Linux, and I had trouble following this thread to here (but I should be getting my L5 soon so experience will refresh my faded memories :-), but this msg:

leads me to think a storage device was unplugged without using the “umount” command in a terminal or in a PureOS GUI; but dos wrote:

What were you doing before this message was displayed? Had a storage device been mounted and was it being used, then disconnected before this error message was displayed?

Note that if files or the file structure was modified and the device was disconnected without unmounting, then the file and/or file structure may need to be fixed (if possible).

@Sharon, With the phone connected to your desktop machine via USB cable, then from the terminal of the desktop machine can you post the output of the following 2 commands…

Command 1:

nmcli dev

Commad 2:

nmcli con show

If you post the output as plain text to the forum can you enclose the text within three back-ticks ( ```) either side of the text, this should retain the formatting of the copied text/output.

Who are you asking this?

I cannot remember :sleepy: But I found the answer when I switched from Xorg to Wayland: Barrier (kvm) does not (yet) work on Wayland and thus not usable on L5.

If I could chip in with a plug for Valent which @epinez pointed me to in my cry for help getting GSConnect going - it is a replacement for GSConnect with phosh clearly the target (iirc, the develper is running phosh on postmarkos). Valent offers a mount option, similar to GSConnect - but, it is one of the features that may be in need of further development. It is in alpha atm and I’m sure the more uptake there is the faster the development will be…

I installed it by downloading the nightly Flatpak, see Status here. Then running:
sudo flatpak install ./valent.flatpakref
From the download directory.
hth. M

Could use Nautilus to ‘mount’ sftp (ftp over ssh) ‘shares’ from L5 too…

1 Like