Librem 5: What is IP-Native Communication?

Just read about the Librem 5, can anyone tell me what IP-Native Communication means? My searching was fruitless. Otherwise very interested in this phone and hoping to see it come to full production.

Thank you for what you do Purism!

Edit: spelling

1 Like

It just means that it’s meant to be used for doing VoIP (Voice Over IP) calls. You can still do regular phone calls since it will have support for a SIM card, but for enhanced security, doing secure encrypted IP calls is better and this would be the first phone to be designed with that in mind.

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.
Purism take my money.

4 Likes

I know I am new to this posting, but does that mean ome could actually only pay for data and not need cellular service? If so, one could obtain a google chat number or something along those lines.

I dropped my money on the device yesterday. I cannot wait until it ships in April.

If I am not mistaken, to facilitate the call you’d need some sort of data service. The data service would be one provided through wifi or a cell provider data plan which I believe requires a Sim card for identity purposes. I hope someone more educated on this responds as well.

1 Like

Minor follow-on - would one not need a baseband + SIM + Cellular Provider to use data over cellular - as in having an option beyond WiFi?

Baseband, SIM, and Cellular ISP would be needed for data that is not coming through Wifi or other connections like bluetooth or NFC which are typically short range connections. I am sure an exception exists; however, my understanding is those three elements are needed for Data access other than wifi. I hope this answered your question.

1 Like