Librem 5 Word Processing

I don’t generally have this problem, but it’s very noticeable on Gnome Podcasts. I think it’s the app, though… as it sometimes freeze and/or crashes, as well.

Libre Office with scaling seems to work fine for me.

3 Likes

I just converted my D&D character spreadsheets from Excel to LibreOffice calc. Even though it is up to 7.x, I only get 6.4.7.2 on my Mint updates. My max columns are now AJM, on Excel it went up to XFD. I had to be mindful that my lookup table links had only static data, not double cross references to other sheets. Sometime links don’t update at all, but if you save, close, then open it up again they’re just fine. Excel spoils you.

1 Like

Sadly, AbiWord seems to be moribund, with only bug fixes and no new features since 2013. 15 years ago I was part of a group that translated AbiWord into Aymara. We recently decided to update the translation, and we were shocked to discover how few strings have changed in the interface over the last 15 years. It’s a great little word processor, but it was largely the labor of love of one guy who carried on after his company Abisource went bankrupt, but he eventually lost interest.

I can’t get the UI to respond to touch input.

gnumeric will let you show a number with more than 16 significant figures. Excel taps out at 15. e.g., enter 1638464576680704 into Excel, and it shows up as 1638464576680700. If you round trip from a CSV, you lose the digit.

That’s ok, I don’t need to calculate vectors for Moon landings. I just neet to round up from one decimal place for DnD character experience points. (And to stay with it, I have converted a dozen and I have more than 4 dozen character sheets remain. It’s a cut and paste job mostly.)

So I appreciate all of the feedback so far, but I am afraid I need to ask for further suggestions. So far LibreOffice and Abiword are just too unstable.

Um, emacs-calc and emacs-org-mode? :slight_smile:

What I’ve heard of OnlyOffice is intriguing, but I haven’ tried it yet.

Ok, I’ll give that a try. I’ll let you know how it goes. My needs are real simple. The Text Edit app that comes default on the phone is almost there. It just need spell check.

I believe the newest version of the “built-in” text editor has spell check. It won’t be available in PureOS for a bit but you can install and use the Flatpak instead.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll use that as it does everything I need and works flawlessly.

do you mean gedit? I had to load an external display to get the preferences correct (I really need dark mode and therefore some other settings ) but it is far more useable than libreoffice but only because of the menus.

Saw a game in one of the last few remaining brick and mortar book stores. (The kind that also hosts a Starbucks.) The game was called (drum roll…)

"New phone, who dis?

1 Like