Librem AweSIM extended service outage

I did not receive any communication before the shipping confirmation

5 Likes

FYI I recieved my new SIM, which seemed to be activated with my original number when it was delivered. SMS, call and data are working as expected (still waiting on MMS support).

Thanks Purism for the fast delivery of the SIM and number porting!

EDIT: Just sent and recieved my first MMS!

5 Likes

I received my new SIM. I’ve inserted the SIM (phone powered off), and I can see that it has a signal. However, am unable to make or receive calls. I also do not have data.

I sent an email to Purism (wireless_support@puri.sm), but just in case I missed something simple, I thought I would post here.

The instructions included with the SIM say to set the APN to NXTGENPHONE. I set this under Settings-Mobile-Access Points-LTE. I have also adjusted the mms settings under ~/.mms/modemmanager/mss with MMSC and MMS Proxy.

Did I miss something obvious? If those sound like the right steps, I can always wait for support to get back to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do your MMS settings also reflect in Chatty?

1 Like

Support got back to me :slight_smile:

I did have to set up the MMS settings in Chatty. Also, they initiated the phone number transfer to the new SIM after I contacted them, so that had wait for that as well.

I’ve now tested everything - calls, texts, data - and everything is now working.

7 Likes

What did you do for both fields?
NXTGENPHONE is one, but what is the other?

1 Like

Here are my settings for Access Points:

AccessPoints

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, the Name field can be anything, but the APN field must be configured as indicated in the link below. L5 devices are 4G Only, so use the 4G settings.

Username and Password should remain empty, for now.

2 Likes

@leetaur @JCS
Thanks for your help

1 Like

So…
mms has been working for me since I got my new SIM but just in the last couple days I am no longer receiving group texts… I still receive pictures but I am not getting any group texts. Is anyone else on AweSIM having this problem?
@JCS

Edit: It started working again.

1 Like

MMS does not work at all for me; I receive standard SMS messages saying that I received an MMS but the message had expired. I’m not sure what the issue is exactly and why it seems to only affect certain customers, but the developers and carrier are aware of the issue. I don’t have any more status updates at this time.

5 Likes

I waited a month since arrival and finally swapped out for the new SIM and contacted Wireless Support per the instructions. Everything works as stated. Although I got to keep the old number for some reason, the original outage said there would be a new one, no biggie there.

3 Likes

After the service change to ATT, calls, text, and mms have been as reliable as a 70s Fiat. Is anyone else having consistent issues with being able to send but not receive messages and abysmal call quality?

2 Likes

Additionally, the outage notification stated the following:

“Your account will be credited for the duration of the service outage. As a note of our appreciation for your business, we will also offer you a month of free service after service is restored.”

Has anyone heard the status of this?

1 Like

I am all of two days into this experiment. So far, I am extremely pleased with the call quality and text services. I reserve the right to change my opinion, though, once I have spent more time with it.

So far so great.

I should also add that a lot my anger at Purism and the Librem 5 was related to Calls. It is still not a “great” experience to make calls with the Librem 5, in my humble opinion. However, I think my problems and anger were more related to having to go through 5 different carriers who did not work at my home. I finally realized that AT&T would likely work well at my home and then learned that AweSIM was using AT&T.

My point? My point is that, you might be having problems because the cellular service where you regularly use your device is subpar. I know that was my biggest issue.

3 Likes

@flanders51 I am pretty tolerant of service quality so long as it is useable. I wish it was something easily attributable to location, sadly it is not. My location has excellent service for ATT.

I have been daily driving my L5 since October. The service before the switch was fine, same with immediately afterwards. Lately it seems to be getting worse and I cannot seem to find a reason why. I am simply asking if anyone else has experienced the same decline I have in hopes that someone can point me in the direction of a solution or someone from Purism can reply with any info on the AweSIM side that could be helpful.

1 Like

Fair enough. That is not good to hear. I hope that does not happen to me. I did have to contact support and ask that my device be approved through the server or something. The explanation, if I am correct, was that AT&T does not like it when a device (Librem 5) tries to access a 3G network. Something of that nature. I emailed wireless@puri.sm, they had to “unblock the device on the server side”, once that was done the problems I experienced disappeared. I am not sure if that is helpful to you or not.

1 Like

Please reach out to support regarding your account, but I will ping the team to verify that statement credit occur automatically.

There are lots of variables involved with call quality, for sure. It could be carrier coverage, of course, but even software configuration is a factor.

I recently messed things up on my phone, for example, while doing something you’re not supposed to do (creating a Frankendebian - in this case, a byzantium/crimson hybrid with incompatible dependencies, etc. Before resorting to a backup or reflashing my phone, I tried to fix it by reverting various (…well, a lot. over 500) software packages. Call quality was intolerable after these tweaks (others complained about static, dropped audio, etc.) whereas call quality was clear and pristine prior to my goof-ups.

So my point is that you can mess up call quality based on your software configuration (and if you try to do fancy but dangerous things like I did).

These are the rough edges that were alluded to in the outage emails; it’s a known upstream issue and there seems to be nothing Purism (or even the reseller) can do about it. The good news is that it’s only a temporary support issue and does not (and has not yet with any customers so far AFAIK) reappear.

We tried to mitigate this issue in testing but it appeared like a fruitless endeavor and the temporary inconvenience simply was not worth further extending the outage.

4 Likes

As an update. I am about 2 weeks in now and AweSIM has worked almost flawlessly. I am very pleased with it.

4 Likes

What does not flawlessly work with AweSIM?

1 Like