Librem Mail: Custom Domains & Aliases

I’m currently a reluctant G Suite user. The service is amazing, but I want to move to a FOSS-based, privacy-respecting service.

One issue I have is that I rely on being able to use a custom domain and email aliases. Curious if Librem Mail will let me do this or I should look into ProtonMail instead.

9 Likes

Currently, no. But many others have requested it (myself included) on the Matrix channels, so I think they will be looking into it. I have no idea what sort of timeframe it might happen on, though.

2 Likes

Same here.

@taylor-williamc this should be all or nothing, since it makes no point having it on one service
while not being able to use it on another.
As far as it seems, for the mail its a bigger priority, the Matrix thing is just a nice to have chat addon.

1 Like

Yes we have received feedback from users asking for this feature and will consider it.

13 Likes

Every small voice helps, right?

Well, I was going to switch over to Librem mail today from Protonmail because of your other integrated services and thinking of buying a Librem 5. Only, I discovered quickly that I could not point my domains mx records at Librem like I can with Protonmail. Please don’t follow Apple’s approach to software of limiting customer choice in favor of oversimplification. For me mail is the critical feature, but I’ll keep an eye on where Librem One goes in the future. I do think Librem One is a very exciting new product, but Protonmail has it beat for mail–at least for now.

I’m reluctantly sticking with G Suite until somebody comes up with something comparable in terms of features and functionality.

I second this.
I would like custom domain names, but multiple email aliases is non-negotiable for me.

1 Like

I would jump right in if they offered custom domain support.

Disroot.org allow you to connect your own domain
also https://mailcow.email could manage a server for you

I would definitely want to jump right in if I could use my own domain name. Plus, I have over 100 email aliases stored in my G Suite GMail account. I would hope I’m not the only one who use email aliases a lot for different websites, such as Purism, Bank of America, Wal-Mart, and many other businesses.

I want to de-Google-ize my life, but the only thing I can’t de-Google is YouTube. I watch a lot of let’s players. But I digressed. :slight_smile:

Update: Actually, I realize that Purism Librem Mail does not store email messages in their server as it’s decentralized, so I’m looking at going with a different email service.

I have an own domain, too. I would consider moving it over to librem one. Great would be something like a mail relay. I use custom email addresses for each correspondent. So when I register at puri.sm my email address could look like puri.sm@mydomain.com. When receiving spam, I can tell which correspondents did not handle my data responsibly. Unfortunately without a email relay I can not simply write emails with my email client and send them, because the SMTP server will only accept mails from explicitly configured mail addresses. With an email relay I can send emails from custom mail addresses that had not been explicitly configured before. Providers offering an email relay seem to be rare nowadays, because there is danger of missunge the relay for spamming.

1 Like

Personally, I find using third level domain names superior to custom usernames. First it lets me have multiple users on the domain. Second, it avoids the occasional email filter/block some websites use involving their own hostname as the user part of a domain.

Something like myname@puri.sm.mydomain.com. Doing it this way lets you also have user2@puri.sm.mydomain.com. Also, most email servers will happily aggregate all of them together by local name, while email clients will let you filter and sort them.

1 Like

Its been a few years since the idea of custom domains was discussed. I am looking for a new email supplier with custom domains. No movement on this issue?

I would also like to see this feature added. The .one domain is cumbersome for everyday use because not all websites recognize it as a legit email domain. I’m still using my iCloud email for online purchases right now because of it.

This is blocking me from using librem.one also. An alternative you might want to consider is mailbox.org. They support using your own domain and it seems to work well.