Librem mini + seaboot + das keyboard :(

For some reason my das keyboard do not work when I flash seabios (coreboot) on my mini. Although another keyboard work fine. Also all keyboards work on on pureboot. I did noticed something on the heads git about this, but anyone here know more about the issue. Im stuck now on pureboot on this mini when id actually like to use coreboot/seabios on it.

likely because it’s not compliant to the usb-hid spec. SeaBIOS is pretty strict on that, though there are some recently merged patches which relax this somewhat. When SeaBIOS tags a new release (later this month), there will be a new Purism coreboot release to go with it, which hopefully should address the issue. If not, we can provide a debug build which will help us troubleshoot the issue.

Pureboot uses the Linux kernel driver to init the keyboard, and it’s more flexible than SeaBIOS’ implementation. If you have a link to what you saw on HEADS that would be helpful.

Thank you for this reply, i think it was coreboot and not heads git i read something about the keyboard issue. Ill wait for the next release and will try that first!

Just checking in, is there a new release of the coreboot/seabios planned any time soon for the minis? Want to flash it and try with my das keyboard again.

yes, we’re planning a release soon with coreboot 4.15 and SeaBIOS 1.15, which should have the fixes included

1 Like

I just tried the new release, and sadly, the das keyboard professional does not work, and also it couldnt boot from my nvme drive, but that was patched the next day i saw. Anyhow, is there something i can help with to try to solve this until next release, because i really dont want to change away my das keyboard and its also a very popular keyboard I feel should work with your version of regular boot.

I really dont need pureboot anylonger and since you dont allow to disable verification inside pureboot, Im stuck having to reverify everything at every update (running fedora silverblue).

I’ll need to have you flash a debug build with more verbose logging for SeaBIOS, and try to figure out what the das keyboard is doing that’s so out of spec that it’s breaking things. All of the outstanding issues with SeaBIOS’s USB-HID have been resolved to my knowledge

There are plans to have a “lite/basic” version of Pureboot which doesn’t do signature validation, but that doesn’t help right this moment

OK, is that debug build availible for from some puri.sm url that i can try? Im happy to help.

no, it’s something I’ll have to build for you. Do you have a mini v1 or v2?

Sorry to ask my question here but I think you can help me. How do you make the switch from Pureboot to Coreboot? I’ve put the rom into usb but when I choose it on Pureboot’s “Flash/Update BIOS” menu, it takes me back to main menu without any warnings.

Should I use coreboot utility? https://source.puri.sm/firmware/utility

I didn’t use this utility because it says:

Provide the option to flash the firmware update, if currently running the standard firmware.
If running the PureBoot firmware, the user will be informed to copy the firmware update file to
USB and update via the Heads menu option

I don’t see a Heads menu option in BIOS though.

On another note, do you not have a Librem Key? Is that why you don’t want to use Pureboot?

I have the first version, v1.

there should have been some indication as to why it failed. So let’s do this: from the options menu, exit to the recovery shell, then run flash-gui.sh - then just repeat the process as before. Hopefully this time when it fails, there will be some useful info in the console

It should read ‘Pureboot menu option’ (ie, exactly what you’re already doing)

please using the following to update (precompiled version option):

reboot with the das keyboard connected (no other keyboard) and let it boot to the OS. Then use the coreboot cbmem utility to pull the firmware boot log:

download, unzip, then run: sudo ./cbmem -1 > cbmem.log and upload to pastebin (eg) and post a link here. There’s not unique identifying info in the log.