Librem Mini v2 Qubes OS pre install came PASSWORD protected

Hey @jonathon.hall good news! Got a USB 3.0 drive yesterday and put Debian 12 on it and it booted up and I was able to install it. Everything went perfectly.

2 Likes

Great, if you want instructions for updating Coreboot or PureBoot, decide which one you prefer. After that, you can reinstall Qubes OS and finally solve your main issue.

@FranklyFlawless I will go with Coreboot. Is the fix in for this issue?

1 Like

@jonathon.hall already posted about a new Coreboot build earlier in this thread, so try it out and report back here and/or in the other thread:

1 Like

@FranklyFlawless I looked through the docs on how to update Coreboot. Got a stupid question. Do I need to boot to PureOS Live from USB to run the script? Looked through the docs and it looks like there a couple dependencies to check if running from Debian. Is there a preferred way to do it?

1 Like

You can run it from your Debian installation if you want, I test that regularly. The script installs any dependencies that are needed automatically on PureOS, Debian, Fedora, and similar distributions.

2 Likes

I definitely prefer using PureOS Live for various reasons, but you do not need to. Feel free to use whatever works for you to get the task done.

@jonathon.hall @FranklyFlawless just wanted to report back that I did flash the coreboot firmware and that went off without a hitch. However, the USB 2.0 ports still will not read a USB 2.0 drive. Tried booting to several diffferent USB 2.0 drives and none of them worked. Still getting the same message. Also, tried booting up my Debian 12 installation with my keyboard and mouse plugged into the USB 2.0 ports and that works fine.

1 Like

Okay, well if your USB 3.0 drive works fine, you can probably install Qubes OS with it, so try that and see if your USB ports change their behavior. Otherwise, I suggest contacting Purism Support (support@puri.sm) and referencing your initial post in this thread.

Iā€™m glad to hear you got the firmware flashed!

With the USB tuning preview firmware, does the USB 2.0 drive work in the USB 3.0 ports? I only adjusted the tunings of the blue 3.0 ports when used with USB 2.0 devices.

The black 2.0-only ports can be adjusted too, but I left them alone for now to ensure youā€™d still be able to connect a keyboard in case the new tunings were no good.

1 Like

Hi @jonathon.hall I tried to boot with a usb 2.0 drive from each of the blue 3.0 ports and there was no read error but the booting from usb message came up and then I think a ISOLinux message or something and the process stopped there. I left the machine in that state for a while and nothing happened. There was no sector read error.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great @zstocs ! I think the adjusted tunings helped, since it failed before that point before.

On the ISOLINUX menu, just press Enter to boot the default boot option. Itā€™d be helpful to know that it can boot all the way to the OS, there will be a lot more USB traffic during the OS boot than just to get to the ISOLINUX menu.

2 Likes

@jonathon.hall so basically the prompt says Booting from USB deviceā€¦ then the ISOLinux line comes next and a blinking cursor. But if I hit Enter nothing happens. Eventually the system reboots. Then my Debian installation boots up. So the ISOLinux line does not give me a menu.

1 Like

OK thanks for the clarification @zstocs, I thought it was reaching the menu but I understand now that it isnā€™t. Itā€™s definitely getting farther with the flash drive, but not far enough to boot. (Before, it was failing in SeaBIOS, now it is starting ISOLINUX but it is probably failing to read some menu files, etc.) So I think improving the USB tuning is on the right track, but itā€™s still not fully fixed.

Iā€™m still working on this, progress has just been slow due to the nature of the issue as well as juggling a few other unrelated issues as well :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @jonathon.hall I am not blocked from using my mini so I am in no rush to get this fixed but if you need me to test something let me know.

2 Likes