Librem One Chats with End-to-End Encryption

I have been unsuccessful setting up encrypted communication with my friend using my Librem One account in the Chats app.

I have no problems adding my account to the Chats app, and my friend can create and invite me to rooms using their android phone (element app), but there’s a problem with the keys used for encryption/decryption. They can send me encrypted messages, but the messages cannot be decrypted on my Librem 5. When I try to send encrypted messages, they don’t seem to send. I thought that maybe I need to login to my Librem One account in the settings app (even though I only plan to use it for Librem Chat), but I can’t login. It says there’s a TLS error.

This is the first time that either of us has used matrix, and we just don’t know what to do to make it work. Can anyone help us out here?

Okay, so I deleted and then re-added the account to the Chats app again, and this time it worked.

The only thing that I did differently was that I waited a few seconds before clicking the accept button to join the room, not that it necessarily had any effect. My Librem 5 can decrypt the messages just fine now, and the android phone is having no problems decrypting the messages sent from the Librem 5.

So I guess this is solved, even though I don’t know what was wrong in the first place or what fixed it.

5 Likes

Update:

After a few hours of my Librem 5 being offline, my Librem One account remains disconnected and does not reconnect until I reboot. After rebooting, my account connects and downloads missed messages, but the messages remain encrypted and cannot be decrypted.

I realize that most people leave their phones connected at all times, but when I sleep, I put my Librem 5 in Lockdown mode. I think that some features still do not work for people like me. I cannot stay connected to my Librem One account, there is no button to force it to reconnect, and my Librem 5 does not wake for notifications (messages or alarms).

I hope that these features become stable in the near future.

If anyone has any info or tips to add, please do.