Librem one Mail

:wave:t4:

I am considering moving to Librem One mail, but I would like to know if it can generate different email addresses for one single account, like Apple does when you “Sign in with Apple”. This way I could subscribe to different services with different email addresses and when I’m done with it I can just deactivate that address. This would allow me to get more privacy because it would make it harder to cross personal information from different, unrelated services and avoid profiling of customers.

It would also allow me not to receive annoying emails even after I clicked on “unsubscribe” at the end of the email.

I don’t believe it does, at least I don’t see any options where that is possible. My best recommendation would be to get the family bundle pack. that would at least give you 5 separate subscriptions (i.e. email addresses).

Thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately, since it is a paid service (for good reasons though), I’ll have to think twice because that feature I talked about is very important to me. Sometimes I have to spend a lot of time reading the Privacy Policy of each service I subscribe to get an email address to ask for personal data deletion. Even after doing that, I’m never sure they actually do it, and to be honest, I’m under the impression they just don’t and all my data gets merged with data from other services for profiling, along with all other users, which I think it’s a very dangerous practice.
Anyway, I’ll keep an eye on Librem One Mail to see if that feature becomes available. I’ll subscribe it for certain if it happens, because I really believe in the mission of this company.

As has been mentioned, Librem One mail doesn’t have aliases, which is what you are talking about.

However, Protonmail is one service I’m aware of that does.

Thank you for your reply. I wasn’t aware of the correct technical term for it because computer science isn’t really a known territory for me, although there are things that I believe I can understand. I’ll check out Protonmail!

with Protonmail you can also create multiple free-accounts …

Thank you for your answer. I have just been in the Protonmail website and was disappointed to know that aliases are formed this way:

“Username+alias1@protonmail.com”
E.g.:
username: artpop; alias: wedding; final address: artpop+wedding@protonmail.com

I believe this formulation makes it easier to do what I have described above because getting to know your original email address is easy.

I don’t think this allows for the same level of privacy as the “Sign in with Apple” does. An alias for an iCloud account has a completely random formulation and has nothing to do with your original email address.

Please have in mind that I’m not making obstacles just for the sake of making obstacles (I genuinely care about privacy) and I appreciate your help in trying to find a better alternative to the service Apple provides.

From the Protonmail info page, and relevant to paid Protonmail users:

Aliases, addresses, and users

Aliases, addresses, and users are not the same thing in ProtonMail. While free users can have unlimited aliases, adding addresses and users are only possible for paid plans.

Addresses are unique email addresses that do not use the “+” symbol. All paid accounts can add additional email addresses using one of the ProtonMail domains (i.e. protonmail.com, protonmail.ch, or pm.me) or using a custom domain. Those with multiple ProtonMail accounts can merge their addresses into a single account in order to send and receive mail from the same mailbox. For example, if you have a Plus plan, you could have your main address as username@protonmail.ch and also receive mail to an additional address like myname@protonmail.com. Unlike aliases, you can change the display name and signature for each address.

Users are a feature of ProtonMail for business that allows account owners to create multiple, unique email addresses within an organization. Only Professional and Visionary accounts can add additional users. Once you have created an organization with a custom domain, you can add users to your organization. (Users cannot be added with ProtonMail domains.) For example, you could create support@example.com, employeename@example.com, ceo@example.com, etc. These users may be private (meaning the account owner does not have access to the user inbox) or non-private.

So what you are after is there. Using a custom domain is an especially useful and powerful privacy tool.

2 Likes