Librem.one not a valid hostname

Run into my first issue using the Librem.one email account. Attempted to make an online purchase (website is garandgear.com for information’s sake) and I received this notice;

“Email” is not a valid hostname, ‘librem.one’ appears to be a DNS hostname but cannot match TLD against known list, ‘librem.one’ appears to be a local network name but local network names are not allowed.

I’ve sent an email to Purism Support to make sure they are aware of the issue (not sure if this is linked to the emails bouncing back as discussed in the librem.com blacklisted thread) Just wanted to throw this out there as an FYI to anyone else having similar problems.

1 Like

I’ve run into this problem once before, but it is not a problem with Purism/Librem One, but rather the TLD validation code used by the website. Effectively, they have a list of valid domains, and it is not very comprehensive. Just stuff like “.com”, “.org”, “.net”, and whatever the most common TLDs are. It doesn’t see “.one” in that list and thinks it’s not valid.

The one time I ran into this issue, I contacted the support team of the service I was signing up for, and they updated their valid domain list to include “.one”.

5 Likes

Makes sense, so we just gotta bring Librem.one into mainstream, one website at a time :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

You will need to complain at the web site in question.

The idea that the TLD is one of the standard TLDs (like .com, .org, .net) or a 2-character ccTLD is obsolete, and has been for several years. Apparently there are well over 1000 such non-standard TLDs so it doesn’t seem as if it makes much sense any more keeping a list of valid ones, any more than it makes sense keeping a list of valid domain names. The DNS is there to tell you what is valid and what is not valid.

1 Like

And two character country names. (And who did puris.sm pay to get a domain from San Marino?)

Countries have different rules about who is allowed to register in the ccTLD.

Countries that have a highly desirable ccTLD often flog off domains to make a bit of cash. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_code_top-level_domain#Generic_ccTLDs

.sm isn’t one of those listed, as it is a bit niche, but I’m sure there’s a correct procedure to follow and I’m sure Purism followed it. In these days of identity politics, I’m surprised that more i.sm domains aren’t registered. :slight_smile:

Although San Marino is an independent country, I would guess they speak Italian. Maybe they gave an offer purism couldn’t refuse?