Librem Tunnel confusion

I’m not sure I understand the use-case for Librem Tunnel or I’m missing something completely and am seeking clarification.

My understanding is that it’s a VPN. As a VPN, my expectation is that if I connect different computing devices to my VPN, those devices should have access to each other as though they are on the same network. This is not the case.

All computing device I have used can connect just fine, but they are all connected to different subnets which cannot see one another.

I haven’t seen anything in the documentation which covers how to configure this sort of routing, I would think it to be automatic.

Does anyone have any insight on what I’m missing?

While there are VPNs like those, such as Hamatchi logmein, which creates a tunnel through which it emulates a local network (LAN), Librem tunnel is not that.

Librem tunnel is meant to redirect your internet activity to their servers in a different location, as well as encrypting the data to the tunnel, therefor masking it from your ISP and in theory making it more secure and protecting your privacy.

They use PIA as their provider for Librem tunnel.

Heres something that does what you want and works on linux (do note however i have no clue how good it is, nor if it’s good on privacy): https://peervpn.net/

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your reply!

That is kind of what I feared the case was.

I have setup my own VPN using WireGuard as a temporary solution before. Librem Tunnel is OpenVPN based/compatible and I have heard of it, but never used it. Which also partially led to my confusion of what the capabilities would be. The main confusion is that it is kind of touted as a VPN solution, which is a little misleading. On the plus side, OpenVPN looks relatively easy to setup, so I will probably just provision myself a server and use that.

Cheers!

Well, most VPNs are exactly what librem tunnel is. Infact, librem tunnel is litterally just a custom GUI for PIA’s VPN servers.

Well, most VPNs are exactly what librem tunnel is.

I respectfully disagree, by definition of what a VPN is.

My expectation was based on my previous usages with VPNs for connecting the office at work and operating as though I was there. Which is as it is defined on Wikipedia. Librem Tunnel, apparently, is not that. It is not a VPN, but it is using VPN software. It is, based on what you get, more of a GeoIP masking service. Which is fine and cool, just not what I expected.

Perhaps I should contact support. Maybe with the family plan, implying more than one person is using the VPN, means that all connections to the VPN can then have access to one another.

Don’t worry, we’ve come to you! Think of it this way. You can use OpenVPN for two reasons.

1. You can tunnel into your home/work network and make your computer function like its directly connected to said network.

2. Tunnel to a server in a city so that websites and web services think you are located there and see that VPN providers IP rather than your own IP and see where you yourself are actually located.

Librem Tunnel and every other major VPN provider functions like #2. You can not use Librem Tunnel to have your family have access to one another because that would function like #1. OpenVPN does facilitate both functions.

Hi Richard,

Awesome, thank you for clarifying this.

I can’t say for certain I have ever encountered scenario #2 before this. Yay learning new things!

Thanks again!

1 Like