Librem5. Liberty phone WebApps

This webapps is the best and it fits on droidian screen even on librem 5 and postmarket os. when i create the webapp it also isolate every webapps just like on ubuntu touch. This is the best when you used linux phone apps. i used postmarket os with this webapp.

link: eyekay/webapps: Install websites as desktop applications - Codeberg.org

2 Likes

Only available as a Flatpak.

2 Likes

i think it is good to be available as a flatpak because of its sandboxed feature

1 Like

I agree that webapps are great. You can also do this with the Gnome Epiphany browser and I use the Linux Mint WebApp Manger, which can be installed on the Librem 5 as .deb file. It works very well.

3 Likes

Bit of shameless self-promotion here but I built a tool a while back to do something similar that uses separate Firefox profiles to contain the “apps”.

I also put together a FF extension to open external links in your normal browser, to give even more of an app-like feel: Switcheroo – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US). Been meaning to work the extension in to the first program but I’ve been lazy/busy.

What you linked looks a lot more complex than what I did. I may have to give it a try. To me, it all comes down to whether FF or WebkitGTK works better to render pages/apps.

6 Likes

The gnome epiphany is greate but it is not sandboxed yet

2 Likes

ohh this is the first time i hered your app it is good i actually want firefox profiles im not fun of webgtk because some website doesnt support it, i will switch to your FFWebapp now. but i have a question do your webapps works like it isolate every webapp like isolated from the system just like flatpak or webapps on ubuntu touch and does it support firefox extention because when running an webapps example youtube it is good to have ublock to blocked annoying ads.

1 Like

It offers no isolation. It’s just simply creating separate Firefox profiles and a .desktop file to launch them.

2 Likes

The Qubes OS equivalent terminology is “compartmentalization”, where different activities are separated into their own appVM. I would consider multiple Firefox profiles as activity isolation in this specific context.