Librem5 Review: At rest in my desk drawer?

For sure, that’s what I do. But, it’s my third attempt to make it my daily driver. And yes, I will keep on trying. And yes, I’m a promoter of free software/hardware projects for a decade now. I give my money, “venture-capital” if you like, not expecting any profit.
But, I give my feedback from time to time, because I know that I don’t expect too much.

5 Likes

Hey, really nice “to do list”. I will check it out.

Regarding the subject of this topic

Had a chat with some friends of mine regarding crowdfounded items of mine just an hour ago. Was able to tell them i backed 3 items. An already almost completely developed waterrower this year. Already delivered. Beautiful. A very special ergonomic keyboard having had to overcome a lot of the known supply chain challenges last year. Already delivered. Really beautiful.

Only comment of one of the guys: “Waiting since years for a mobile? You know technical stuff’s outdating very fast?!?” with a certain expression like are you out of your brains in his face… ;)?

I’m excited what the L5 might look and feel like. But more and more i feel a feeling deep inside telling me “nice toy, but probably a future brick in your shelf…”. Honestly hoping it’ll prove to be wrong.

Purism probably mainly attracts a very special, mainly somewhat very tolerant and forgiving audience, that closes one or the other eye out of sympathy.

Nevertheless one mustn’t forget, time’s changing, things, experiences and expectations evolve with the world surrounding us.

Let’s hope, we’ll see more mainly positive reviews of the L5 in the future. And hopefully the market’s not showing the need for an L10 to L12 in the meantime…

5 Likes

That is of course true. (Almost any ITC gadget that you buy is out of date shortly after you walk out of the store, if it wasn’t already out of date at the time of purchase. If you bought on discount from the store, it might well be the latter i.e. it was a clearance discount to clear out old stock because a new model is available.)

However the core problems that the Librem 5 is designed to address are getting worse, not better. So in that respect, the specification of the Librem 5 is getting better without the phone changing at all. :slight_smile:

Regardless of the technical specification becoming out of date, the phone is only obsolete if it can no longer do what you need it to do.

7 Likes

This totally depends on you. I have some “bricks” in my shelf for various reasons. I tend to keep the stuff I’m really interested in and hope to find time to play with it and use it.

My ex-Androids (all hardware repaired, all running some kind of AOSP) are bricks on my shelf. I decided to get out of that ecosystem as fast as possible and here comes first the Pinephone (slightly under-powered, but still already a good alternative) and finally my Librem5.

Yes, there is a lot to do, still and I’m happy trying to be part of that process while gaining a lot of insight into the hardware and software of the phone - already a lot more than I ever had on any Android device. I own the Librem5 - it doesn’t own me.

I give away data from the phone if I decide to and I do not need to stop the phone selling off my personal data. I use it sometimes like a notebook in docked mode and am happy to carry a small computer in my pocket. Sometimes I replace the battery when I really need more runtime away from the power grid than it provides. Sometimes, rarely.

It’s totally your decision how you’ll look at that device and whether you’re really willing to give up on an ecosystem driven by Surveillance Capitalism to start over in a new, evolving ecosystem that offers different services at different prices.

When it comes to all the rest of the world (beside the few geeks already running daily on a linux mobile phone): they’ll tell you on every channel they have that you need to be connected and you need to use this or that to be part of society and you need to have the latest shiney thing.

Any Linux Mobile Phone is a phone for people who decide to take their own way.

7 Likes

Sorry, but you want to walk out having two batteries and a charger in your pocket just because there is a problem with software and/or HW Design? I cannot use my Librem 5 as my main phone for the same reason (the battery drains too fast) and just have it laying on my desk.

You may be able to skip the charger if two fully charged batteries (one in the phone) are sufficient to cover the period “on the go”. But yeah everyone realises that power consumption is a priority, hot button issue.

I don’t carry the charger :wink: : I use it to to charge one battery - either because I need the L5 otherwise than having it plugged in or because I needed two batteries in a long day away from power.

I do not write that this is ideal. It is a compromise and for me it’s a good one.

My first mobile phone just had SMS - at that time for free before they started charging per message. As far as I know it didn’t spy on my more than carrying a mobile phone in general gives away to the provider used.

To be honest, I do not remember the battery runtime, but it could not have been that good: I remember an extra large battery that made the phone even thicker.

Now - after having decided that I’d not carry an Android or iOS phone anymore - I carry a Librem5.

Unbelievable how big the difference and how advanced the technology.

Once again I’m back to a phone that doesn’t spy on me, that allows me to switch it off (and make sure it stays off by removing the battery) and that even allows me to deactivate the modem and its sensors to give me a small computer I can use in private without having to share my location or any other data with anybody else.

Yes, sure, sweetness calls. “Come to the dark side, we have cookies!” Battery runtime as high as needed to keep the little surveillance device delivering data about the people carrying them around. Everything polished, simple and user friendly. Any reason that could hinder anybody to use and carry such a modern miracle is ironed out in shortest time to keep the data flowing.

Everyone has to make their choice. I chose to stop delivering data, helping to make the linux mobile ecosystem better and more usable for anybody who cares.

You can do the same by providing constructive feedback as an active user or even taking part in development. You could even help to find the next freedom respecting platform to build a phone on which doesn’t have the same design limits as imx8 with external modules.

9 Likes

Firefox-ESR with PrivacyRedirect or LibRedirect extension?

Alternatively, use a device belonging to someone you hate. :slight_smile:

P.S. If you search the word “video” in the PureOS store, you may find some options to try.

2 Likes
1 Like

[…]
My first mobile phone just had SMS - at that time for free before they started charging per message.

Once again I’m back to a phone that doesn’t spy on me, that allows me to switch it off (and make sure it stays off by removing the battery) and that even allows me to deactivate the modem and its sensors to give me a small computer I can use in private without having to share my location or any other data with anybody else.

Everyone has to make their choice. I chose to stop delivering data, helping to make the linux mobile ecosystem better and more usable for anybody who cares.

You can do the same by providing constructive feedback as an active user or even taking part in development. You could even help to find the next freedom respecting platform to build a phone on which doesn’t have the same design limits as imx8 with external modules.

1 Like

I’ve have had one as well, yet after reading of this important post/measurement: External battery charger for Librem5, I changed my mind instantly.

And because of this very favorable reaction from @guru I needed to build myself some external holder (redesign external battery charger): Battery for Librem 5.

I use this combo rarely, very rarely.

1 Like

Because charging the battery inside the phone is sufficient for you?
Or for other reasons than that?

1 Like

Both, thanks for asking! Let me somehow put things together on why I’m not using external battery charger or using it rarely (and therefore not swapping batteries).

Similarly I’m usually leave my phone connected, even overnight, even when battery at 100% (red LED light off), to two 8000mAh power banks (using just black USB-A port) or to one 18000mAh power bank (using just outer USB-A port, it charges back to its full capacity much quicker). Doing so while, for example, by going out for some walk I can rely on my phone even if I stay out for longer than intended.

Also and sure that I’m disconnecting my Librem 5 regularly down to 50% of inserted battery capacity (either at home or not), but my main reason why mostly leaving phone connected to power bank is to have more peace for myself while not focused anymore not to overlook when it will turn off by itself (empty battery related, which isn’t healthy battery stage for it anyway).

Also, with my current thoughts (trying to be short), I might use car charger to recharge one of my USB-DCP protocol supportive power banks (carefully selected from my side to be used with Librem 5) yet not to charge my Librem 5 directly with any car charger (when some hours spending there), especially if some car charger do not negotiate USB-DCP charging protocol with the Librem 5 at all.

And whatever way I choose to recharge my Librem 5 this is most important, here related, note (that I should not forget to link):

1 Like

I believe GNOME Web is working again with the latest system updates. I haven’t experienced any websites crashing so far.

3 Likes

It true, Epiphany it not crashing… it has new top webengine version.

1 Like

I just checked my charger: Output: DC 4.2V = 800mA. Yes its slow, but I end up with a battery fully charged to 4.24V.

1 Like

As long as measured voltage (right after charging with some external/universal battery charger) is way belong 4.35V (that should be equal or very close to 4.20V) your Modem card should survive without any damage to it, and proceed to work as expected, as untouched from the fully charged High Voltage battery (LiHv), the one (BPP-L503) that Librem 5 uses to power this Linux phone when inserted into it.

I’ve learned what very important to be understood, and therefore thankful, from this post:

800mA is just about right as 500mA would be very slow (and probably unreliable as well). Thanks for this feedback!

EDIT:

This charging station (holder with pogo pins) should give you some idea on how external charging device for Librem 5 battery should function: “The traditional third-party charging station depends on current detection to judge the charging status. They usually have a red and a green light to show the power info, which is doubtful. Because when the controller is completely out of power, the current will be very low, the traditional charging station can’t detect it.

Above actually means (to me at least) that you need (ensure this every time) to take out Librem 5 battery from external battery charger right after it reaches 4.20V (as usually green LED light on) on it. Just while this external battery charger will continue to charge BPP-L503 battery above 4.20V. Meaning taking out battery on time will help there (meaning as well that BPP-L503 battery charged inside of Librem 5 phone never gets into such issue, never gets charged above 4.20V).

moved that here https://source.puri.sm/-/snippets/1203

1 Like