List of Apps that fit and function well [Post them here.]

That’s what I did. Had it installed, then uninstalled and rebooted. No difference, so I installed qtwayland5 again and rebooted and Telegram still looks the same. Also, it has no icon, just a “?” in a circle, in the app grid when running.

You can try and use the Flatseal app to make sure Wayland is allowed and try setting the QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland environment variable with the app.

OTPClient (flatpak):

Very nice!

EDIT: Not shown above (located under the + symbol):
Scan using webcam
Take screenshot
Using a QR Code > From file, > From clipboard
Manually

2 Likes

Secrets (based on KeePass; flatpak):

Create a safe (careful not to overwrite an existing one, which is pre-selected here):

Open an existing password database:

Stored accounts/passwords:

An account/password/preferences:

Another nice one!

3 Likes

Better than Authenticator?

Just tested Authenticator… OTPClient seems easier to use and less buggy, at least for me, and on amber repo.

Authenticator (flatpak):

Once inside the app, certain panels don’t adapt correctly:

They are corrected once you minimize, then maximize again:

The above looooooong list of providers is somewhat cumbersome and jerky to scroll, but fortunately you can search by name:

Nice feature: Import screenshot of QR code (or by camera, if it works):

I prefer OTPClient, at least for now.

4 Likes

Thanks! Appreciate you researching and trying both, and nice to know there are multiple promising looking options.

1 Like

GNOME Screenshot vs. PureOS Screen Shot:

GNOME Screenshot doesn’t scale to screen out-of-the-box:

But can be set to always scale correctly by issuing this command:
gsettings set sm.puri.phoc.application:/sm/puri/phoc/application/org-gnome-screenshot/ scale-to-fit true

…Which then makes it possible to see and press the Save button (without the scale-to-fit command, you would have to change orientation to landscape in order to see the button):

PureOS Screen Shot:

Scales perfectly by default, and produces, then saves the screenshot without needing the extra “Save” step:

All screenshots for either app are saved to the Pictures directory.

5 Likes

Calendar:

Just to show how adaptive and usable it is now…

But no way to cancel this dialog box? [EDIT: Just swipe it upwards.]

4 Likes

Screen Recorder:
Start capture…

This is a screenshot/still of the video, with scrolling highlighted apps:

Return to Screen Recorder to stop capture.

A video app is needed to play the capture.

GNOME Videos aka Totem (works with some re-scaling; gsettings set sm.puri.phoc.application:/sm/puri/phoc/application/org-gnome-totem/ scale-to-fit true ):

6 Likes

Actually, one of the first things I tried when connected to big display, keyboard, mouse: install JDK 17 from Adoptium, install Eclipse, downloaded SWT example, compiled & ran them. All done on the phone. No problem observed :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Advanced Network Connections (pre-installed in byzantium):

(3rd row, far left; my own background)

The “VPN” section below doesn’t appear here by default; I had to install openvpn and network-manager-openvpn-gnome, after which it appeared*:

From here, select config files that you have downloaded from a VPN provider (if they provide such) and that you have saved to your Home directory:

(Scaling down required to see that last screen completely.)

*I also had to fix some dependency issues.

I didn’t test a VPN provider yet. If anyone does, feel free to let us know the result. Note that Wireguard is already available, as you can see in the options above.

P.S. You would use this if your provider’s own OpenVPN client doesn’t work.

EDIT/Feb 29, 2022: Now in the L5’s main Settings app, under the Network category, there is an option for adding a VPN connection. I think this is new, but I might be mistaken. (Or maybe it only showed up because I installed openvpn and network-manager-openvpn-gnome before.) Unfortunately, the dialog boxes for adding the connection fit the screen badly at the moment.

5 Likes

Osmos ($5) by Canadian developer Hemisphere likely would work well

Big Metro also scales properly for screen resolutions smaller even than the Librem 5, but is only built for amd64.

Feel free to demonstrate it working and adapting to the Librem 5 screen. :wink:

1 Like

Strawberry music player although works in a flatpak the sonic API does not function in the flatpak… BUT I found .deb that does install and the sonic API functions YAY! :partying_face: . The .deb file I installed on byzantium was located here strawberry

8 Likes

Warpinator (flatpak):

This Linux Mint-developed app for transferring files or directories over the local network works well. It’s able to communicate with your network’s other computers running native or flatpak Warpinator, and with your Androids running the ported version from F-Droid.

I’m having issues with pasting screenshots right now, but I’ll update this post with some images when it’s fixed.

See this TUTORIAL.

1 Like

I use the flatpak of Kotatogram.
I think it’s a source build with a few extra features. Works fine.

Anki (flatpak; some screens require scaling down):

An e-flashcard application, useful for studying any subject, and popular for language study.

(Not the best choice of font colors, and apparently not changeable at present.)

Import your own file, download from numerous available specialty websites; use single words, whole sentences, or any type of study material. Also supports media (images, audio, etc.).

Page through each card in a deck, respond, edit, etc.:

Edit a flashcard:

More info about add-ons.

Generate your own lists of words with this script.

EDIT: Besides vocabulary lists of single foreign words, studying entire sentences of dialog from natural conversation is a great method of building language skills. Foreign films are a great source of spoken dialog, and it’s also possible to download files of subtitles from, e.g. opensubtitles[.]org. Once downloaded and opened with a text editor, the whole sentences can be imported into Anki. But since the subtitle file is full of non-text entries like time-stamps, etc., it’s helpful to extract only the lines that contain the text. See this script for accomplishing that.

3 Likes