List of Apps that fit and function well [Post them here.]

Now I’m using Kasts Mobile View by forcing it via sudo flatpak override --env=QT_QUICK_CONTROLS_MOBILE=1 org.kde.kasts.

1 Like

Nice trick! It fits and it doesn’t seem crashy like it did last year.

I don’t suppose you know how to make it honor dark mode, do you?

It was fixed: 467893 – Unable to launch when forcing mobile view
I doesn’t know how to change the default theme.

The latest Signal flatpak works in portrait mode now.

1 Like

AT commands don’t run for my end…

MUST HAVE APP:
$ sudo apt install geeqie

And use it instead of internal image viewer.
Opens any photo really really fast, even its size is over 5-10 Mb.
f keybinding is your friend.

UPD:
Also see other keybindings:
https://www.geeqie.org/help/GuideReferenceKeyboardShortcuts.html

2 Likes

Rhythmbox fits just OK:
$ sudo apt install rhythmbox

Set scale to 150%, force scaling down in Mobile Settings (UPD: leave scale unmodified) and use it horizontally.

UPD:

3 Likes

@neva_blyad. Care to post a couple of screenshots of those 2 apps in action?

Sorry, I was too lazy. Done.

3 Likes

Thanks. I like Geeqie. I need to use the keyboard better, however. Loupe is another good image app but it does come with Flatpak bloat.

Thunderbird works like a charm with horizontal view & font scaling 150%:
$ sudo apt install thunderbird

Also, you have to hide the third panel.

7 Likes

MenuLibre fits well enough:
$ sudo apt install menulibre

Set scale to 150% and use it horizontally.

2 Likes

Blueman works perfectly with Bluetooth devices; pair, connect/disconnect, profile settting, etc.
$ sudo apt install blueman

2 Likes

Does press and hold to right-click actually work for you? My experience is not that positive.

GNU Privacy Assistant (GPA) is front-end for gpg, it stores PGP keys, encrypts/decrypts, signing and verifying. Use it in addition to Seahorse and console’s gpg.
$ sudo apt install gpa

4 Likes

No. Should the long pressing open context menu or something? (I have no idea how to emulate right-click using touch screen.)

1 Like

Yes.

Although really, as long as there is some gesture that emulates right-click then that is good enough.

1 Like

GNU Image Manipulation Program
GIMP

sudo apt-get install gimp

It will require ~143MB

it got installed

The icon appears in the bottom left of this screenshot

After starting you see it requires scaling (from 200% to 100%)

Without a mouse I could change the color of this icon

Into this

I didn’t do further things yet. But it is functional to my use cases.

I Forgot !!
Gimp version installed 2.10.22

There is an update from 11-04-2023

I’ll stay some days with the previous version.

Pd. figured out how to upload screenshots in this post. :smile:

3 Likes

I installed Gimp months ago. It … kinda works. But it has no small screen support and no touch support. You need to touch scroll bars to scroll instead of common swiping the list. Menus can get unreachable out of border without enough space.

But the worst thing is the Phosh bug that hits Gimp very hard: loosing touch input focus by using different windows. And Gimp uses a lot of different windows (for example you want to shade color or using any other filter. You easily can get stucked without being able to minimize app etc (you need to do it with screen off and on trick).

You also need a physical keyboard or a special Squeekboard layout to put main window and filter window together on screen (only possible in landscape mode). Otherwise you edit filters in a blind way.

I tried out to edit holiday pictures directly after I shot them. The purpose was to test if I’m able to improve the quality on fly. The main issue: on different environments (like outside under the sun) it’s nearly impossible to match the correct colors. It’s may better, but still 100 times worse than editing it at home via convergence mode.

You also have to set the device to 100%, because the compositor settings in mobile settings app does not work for Gimp (I don’t know why - works for other applications).

3 Likes

What about MyPaint? It is showcased on the Librem 11.