Major Issues after "OS Update" on Librem 5

dpkg -l phosh

Really? That simple?
It says 0.28.

Note to self: from now on, pay attention to the phosh/phoc distinction.

Thanks, the update went fine.

@dos Here is the output of the commands (with the errors and missing dependencies) you suggested:

@dos And the second output -

That’s not a problem with dependencies. It can’t connect with the repository server, most likely because the date is set wrong on your phone (judging from “last login” message it thinks it’s Dec 2022).

Either set the clock manually with date, or make sure NTP time sync is enabled and performed (sudo timedatectl set-ntp true, verify with sudo timedatectl) and then retry.

Well glad I waited until today. I got an update too. But strangely it required two reboots in succession. Someone must have fixed something.

You only need to enter your encryption password once to decrypt the partition

When you get to the tty the login is the username, which by default is ‘purism’
The password should be whatever your password is to login to your phone.

Oh, BTW, you had a typo here. It’s -1, not .1:

phosh is here now:

purism@pureos:~$ apt info phosh
Package: phosh
Version: 0.28.0-1pureos1
Priority: optional
Section: x11
Maintainer: PureOS Maintainers <pureos-project@puri.sm>
1 Like

Apart from all the messages and hassle, is there a short list of new features we’ve got with this OS update? Thanks

1 Like

You can follow phosh changes here : https://phosh.mobi/releases/

I’ve just update my L5 using Terminal.
It updates several packages, but wants to keep back 2 packages

sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  librem5-base-defaults linux-image-librem5
The following packages will be upgraded:
  firefox-esr
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 54.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 203 kB of additional disk space will be used.

Why are those packages kept back and is it safe to install them anyway?

1 Like

Thanks @dos this . . .

along with this . . .

has done the trick. My Librem5 is back in the land of the living, and working.

Thanks also for pointing out my typo in one of the package names. In the end, I didn’t need it though.

So, once again, I’m in love with technology (I really disliked it there yesterday) and my Librem 5 (also didn’t like it there most of yesterday :rofl:)

Thanks so much for all your help. @dos I truly appreciate you.

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

I’ve stepped into the same problem with this fatal update.
I’ve got access to the phone’s shell via a USB keyboard attached by an adapter.
“sudo apt update” worked, but after entering “sudo apt install librem5-gnome”
it says: “Paket librem5 kann nicht gefunden werden” (packet librem5 can not be found).
Does this mean that it fails to resolve the dependencies and that I should enter this other command? I’ m a little bit scary!

Thanks in advance for any bits of help!

This means you haven’t typed it correctly. You can’t omit or add any additional spaces, you need to type it verbatim.

Hi,
I’m very sure that I have typed it correctly. But it is nearly impossible for me to read the screen, because the letters on the screen are extremely tiny. But I repeated it again just now, and the result is the same. But what I find peculiar is that it says “packet librem5 can not be found” instead of “packet librem5-gnome”

You can zoom the font from the menu in Terminal, or type Ctrl + or Ctrl - with squeekboard. (Don’t forget to disengage the Ctrl key when done.)

2 Likes

Exactly, and this means you haven’t typed librem5-gnome correctly. Perhaps it’s a keymap issue and you end up with a different character than -? Maybe try to press the button where - would be on the US layout instead (the one next to 0, to its right).

1 Like