Major Issues after "OS Update" on Librem 5

If someone takes the time to find out whether the decision how to resolve the conflict had been forced by Gnome Software or PackageKit I’d be interested to read that :slight_smile: .

I already stumbled over problems with PackageKit a while ago and took this as a reason to publish what I found (and what didn’t get fixed in PureOS, yet), also.

3 Likes

@dos, I attached the external keyboard and did the first command you suggested, but it fails to resolve the dependencies, so I did this command as you directed . . .

However, the output of that command was:

E: Unable to locate package linux-image-6.3.0.1-librem5
E: Couldn’t find any package by glob ‘linux-image-6.3.0.1-librem5’

I tipple checked I copied the commands you posted above correctly before hitting enter, and then waited a few minutes after the errors showed up, rebooted, and when the phone still didn’t go past the encryption password, I did the second command again, with the same errors.

Do you have any other suggestions before I reflash, as I only have use of one hand and find it difficult to do some of the steps (where two hands are required) of the reflash procedure?

1 Like

That’s interesting, as this would mean that your problem isn’t related to this update. You can try sudo apt install librem5-gnome linux-image-librem5/byzantium as well.

However, at this point just sudo apt install librem5-gnome should work. What exactly are the dependencies it failed to resolve?

1 Like

@dos: I never use the store; with apt ... I see now:

sudo apt update
apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
librem5-base-defaults/byzantium-updates 62pureos1 all [upgradable from: 61pureos1]
librem5-base/byzantium-updates 62pureos1 all [upgradable from: 61pureos1]
librem5-gnome-base/byzantium-updates 62pureos1 all [upgradable from: 61pureos1]
librem5-gnome-phone/byzantium-updates 62pureos1 all [upgradable from: 61pureos1]
librem5-gnome/byzantium-updates 62pureos1 all [upgradable from: 61pureos1]
librem5-non-gnome/byzantium-updates 62pureos1 all [upgradable from: 61pureos1]
linux-image-librem5/byzantium-updates 6.3.7pureos3~byz1 arm64 [upgradable from: 6.2.13pureos3]
linux-libc-dev/byzantium-updates 6.3.7pureos3~byz1 arm64 [upgradable from: 6.2.13pureos3]
phoc/byzantium-updates 0.29.0+ds-1pureos1~byz1 arm64 [upgradable from: 0.28.0+ds-1pureos1]

Is this the expected set and should I proceed with sudo apt full-upgrade ?

1 Like

Hey dos,
Thanks a bundle for the guidance on this. I ran out (well, to be honest I drove) to the thrift shop earlier to buy a usb keyboard, plugged it into my hub (an earlier thrift shop find), and started hammering on the ctrl, alt and f2 keys like mad.
And it worked! The upgrade succeeded, and all my finetunings (squeekboard layout, color settings, desktop apps, etcetera) were still there.
Heck, I even have the Librem5 Tour back!

For a moment there I thought my love affair with the L5 had to come to an end. But it behaving like a real linux computer in this situation prevented that.

Great! Thanks again, dos!

2 Likes

The Store now wants to upgrade to phosh 29. Is that save? :slight_smile:

1 Like

(I think it is.)

1 Like

Looks sensible.

There’s no phosh 0.29 in byzantium yet, so you must have enabled some development repos which are never “safe”.

1 Like

Really?! I do not recall doing so. Strange!
The store indeed says that the (flatpak) PureOS beta repository is active. I can be mistaken, but I am pretty sure I did not add that myself.

Nothing experimental in the Byzantium section, though.

1 Like

So two questions:

1. Is it really phosh, and not phoc?
  2. Which repositories are enabled in the “Packages” section?
1 Like

Ah, yes. You might be right. It could be phoc. How can I check that?

1 Like

I don’t know what “that” means in this question. It’s you who told me it was phosh, I don’t know where have you seen it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There are three repositories mentioned in the Packages section. Byz., Byz. security, and Byz. updates. Nothing experimental there.

1 Like

I highly likely I misread the update info in the store. :slight_smile:

But I wondered before how one can check the installed phosh version.

1 Like

dpkg -l phosh

1 Like

Really? That simple?
It says 0.28.

Note to self: from now on, pay attention to the phosh/phoc distinction.

1 Like

Thanks, the update went fine.

1 Like

@dos Here is the output of the commands (with the errors and missing dependencies) you suggested:

1 Like

@dos And the second output -

1 Like

That’s not a problem with dependencies. It can’t connect with the repository server, most likely because the date is set wrong on your phone (judging from “last login” message it thinks it’s Dec 2022).

Either set the clock manually with date, or make sure NTP time sync is enabled and performed (sudo timedatectl set-ntp true, verify with sudo timedatectl) and then retry.

1 Like