May have created a hybrid system state

I added debian sid repos to my sources.list to get the latest version of firefox. I thought I did the proper thing to just install firefox by using:
apt install -t sid firefox
But after a recent upgrade I think I may have created a hybrid sid/stretch system. Apt is constantly complaining about holding broken packages, and it seems like I have updated versions of things like python3 that are preventing package installation.
apt update && apt full-upgrade doesn’t help, nor does apt-get -f install
Is there any hope of restoring a consistent debian 9 based system?

Learning debian the hard way…

-Roger

[edit]

Reinstalled pureOS; I’ll just be conservative and stick with stretch repos.

Yes, mixing repos is a bad idea. Re-installation can help.

hi there! :slight_smile:

it can be fine sometimes if u really know what ur doing, but dont forget to think about the dependencies, so its not that much of an easy case, however if u manage to make a shell script that can download and install locally (like in ~/whatever) ur new firefox, then it cant mess with ur system. in this case id also make a custom init that can save ur user data before and/or after running firefox, so theres a kinda big safety for u this way. otherwise u can try containers as well. and finally this download+build+install combo can be run before/after running firefox.

this requires some time to make it happen, but after it u can enjoy the results without worries. :smiley: