Missing haptics

I moved to a new L5 which should have the default configuration, but I has no keyboard haptics at all. Sound is fine, calls are ringing and SMSes are announced. But keyboard does not make any noise. Any ideas?

1 Like

My haptics turn on and off based on the 3 state audio button in the pull down menu.

Silent: No haptics
Quiet: haptics but no sound
On: haptics and sound

2 Likes

Yes, this is what I rember about the other L5 too, but the new one is always silent.

1 Like

You have per application settings in mobile-settings: Configure Audio, Haptic and LED Feedback Ā· Phosh - maybe the one for the OSK youā€™re using got disabled?

1 Like

Thanks for the hint. I have there two times Sqeekboard with full and I can move them from full to silent but not back to quiet or full.

1 Like

Do you have any haptics at all? Like are there haptics when you receive a call, sms, or select an app?

If you do, then that would rule out any sort of hardware issue.

1 Like

Iā€™m alarmed on incoming calls and SMS.
I re-started the feedbackd with:

strace -o feeback.tr /usr/libexec/feedbackd

and I see:

$ grep open feedback.tr | grep button
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/sounds/button-pressed.ogg", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/sounds/button-pressed.wav", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/sounds/C/button.oga", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/sounds/C/button.ogg", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/sounds/C/button.wav", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/sounds/button.oga", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/sounds/button.ogg", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/sounds/button.wav", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
purism@pureos:~$ ls -l /usr/share/sounds
total 28
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 23  2023 alsa
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 23  2023 freedesktop
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 23  2023 gnome
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 23  2023 librem5
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 23  2023 purple
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 23  2023 sf2
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 23  2023 sf3
purism@pureos:~$ find /usr/share/sounds | grep button
purism@pureos:~$

i.e. no sound files for button-pressā€¦ This explains the missing haptics. How the went away? And, how I could get them back?

1 Like

I donā€™t have those files either. So I donā€™t think that they went away.

Do you get haptics when you close an application?

Do you get haptics when you boot your device?

(As @Sarcasmo220 says, you just want to rule out a hardware issue.)

2 Likes

I wish those options would (someday) include also ā€œloudā€ to make sure notifications are noticed from inside pockets and bags. As in, sound over amplified (and possibly changed to some user defined siren) and all notification sounds and haptics would run at least twice as long (or repeat). The current ones are so subtle.

I donā€™t suppose anyone has come across any way to increase haptic motor power from software? (I know, wishful thinking)

1 Like

With better attention I did a systematically test:

plugin USB power: click-click (loud clicks)
long-press power to power-on: green light + click
keys for disk-decrypt: short vibration
keys for unlock: nothing
keys for unlock SIM: short vibration
app start: short vibration
app down: short vibration
keys in kgx: short vibration

The ā€˜vibrationsā€™ are more perceptible in the hand, than audible.

Iā€™m attaching a screen of the of the app Mobile Settings. Why is Squeekboard two time there?

1 Like

OK, so the hardware is working.

Thatā€™s actually the idea of haptics. You are supposed to feel them, not hear them e.g. if your phone is in a pocket.

No idea - but itā€™s the same on my phone. landscape v. portrait??

Iā€™m not certain what you mean by this but I am not seeing that behaviour. They default to full and I can change to e.g. silent and still change it back to full.

1 Like

This problem is not fully reproducible. In the app Mobile Settings, screen Feedback for example I can set Squeekboard from Full to Quiet but not back to Full again. For that I have to re-start the app.

1 Like

That happened to me when I was having the the kernel issue. I donā€™t know if it is related though

1 Like