Missing MMS Settings?

I rebooted, also reinstalled modem manager, but it is still gone. Maybe purging chatty, reboot, then re-install I will try that (I also removed any cache and mms files/folders/dbs still hanging out).

sudo apt purge chatty -y
sudo apt autoremove -y
sudo apt update
reboot
sudo apt install chatty -y
sudo apt update
reboot

That made the chatty MMS settings editable again. I wonder if I change the SIM back to see if it is a repeatable bug, or only because I didn’t have those modem manager settings defined earlier…
It is the first time I have run across that since i have swapped SIMS before 3-4 times without issue. Its almost that configuration became locked and chatty could no longer overwrite the file, maybe lost ownership?

2 Likes

Very interesting, I have exactly the same issue. My carrier sent me a lot of MMS messages such as "please read your MMS on my_carrier_website_url". That’s when I discovered that Chatty was no longer receiving MMS and that the Carrier MMS settings were grayed out.

I’m afraid I’ll lose everything if I uninstall, as I have messages I want to keep, and I’ve also connected Signal to my Matrix account with a bridge.

If anyone from the Purism team can read us and point out a way to resolve this before a possible Chatty update fixing this bug, that would be great, thanks !

maybe you can try to

“systemctl --user status mmsd-tng”
make sure its running and if not maybe try “start” or “enable”.

1 Like

I have tried but the service was not runnig.
Then, I have tried enable and the output is :

Failed to connect to bus: $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not defined (consider using --machine=<user>@.host --user to connect to bus of other user

Thank you anyway

don’t use sudo

Even without sudo it doesn’t work (Unit file mmsd-tng.service does not exist/not found)

maybe you could:

sudo apt re-install mmsd-tng
sudo apt re-install modemmanager
reboot
sudo systemctl enable mmsd-tng
sudo systemctl start mmsd-tng

See if something like that brings it back!

1 Like

Hello, and thank you for your help. After confirming that mmsd-tng wasn’t enabled, I followed your advice: be careful to type reinstall and not re-install. After that, Chatty’s APN settings are no longer grayed out.

However, I can’t send or receive MMS messages.
On systemctl status mmsd-tng, I get error 007 (like James Bond) with a sentence like Fail to get data (http status = 007).

Now you need to make sure that the GUI MMS & APN values are truly correct😉

1 Like

and maybe now is the time to try to do the chatty reinstall, not sure if that will make you koose data though.

1 Like

Thank you both, I had checked and it seems that the APN values are correct. After further investigations, I’ve found that somebody in pinephone forums had the same issue and had to compile Chatty, so maybe @Captain_Morgan suggestion is the good one. See the source below :

Source (we can fin the same 007 error message)
and solution was :

It works successfully on Mobian and Manjaro compiling your (kop316) version of purple-mm-sms Smile .
Thank you so much for your great work!!!