Mobile Libre Office

… if even that.

Me too. I would assume that if Miracast (or equivalent technology) ever works on the Librem 5 then in order to use it, you would be forced to switch the WiFi on. That is not entirely logical for the setup and may or may not be acceptable from a security / privacy point of view (and that may also depend on your location at the time).

1 Like

I do not know, ask a Librem 11 owner.

To make LibreOffice work on Mobile is an effort that has already been undertaken by Collabora, who offer their LIbreOffice-based Collabora Office for Android and iOS, the source code is at GitHub - CollaboraOnline/online: Collabora Online is a collaborative online office suite based on LibreOffice technology. This is also the source for the Collabora Office apps for iOS and Android.. It works okay on Android and iOS in my limited testing.

Given that their “LibreOffice on the Web” thing lives in the same repo, I have some hope, that the mobile implementation is basically “the web thing + a browser runtime” — but I have not put any work into finding out if that is actually true; I will try with the Nextcloud instance of a friend when I am back and home without intermittent internet. If the hypthesis turns out to be true, one could try and make this work on Mobile Linux/the Librem 5 with some simple Web-runtime like Cog (or other webkit2gtk) and maybe a docker container (or similar) to locally run “web libre office”.

That’s the way, if editing is necessary. If it’s not needed, and viewing a document is enough, I recommend Install Morphosis on Linux | Flathub and the Document Viewer app (Evince, or, going forward, Papers).

BTW: Back in the day (ca. 2008, in its GTK2 days) Abiword had a mobile interface, but when I tried to build it a few years ago the option still existed but would not compile anymore.

2 Likes

Android and iOS are not mobile phone operating systems, they are personal information harvesters… I am surprised that John Deere or Mahindra doesn’t make devices for them.

3 Likes

To — finally — follow up on this:

If one has a Nextcloud instance with ‘Nextcloud Office’ (Nextcloud’s rebrand of Collabora Office), it works well enough in Firefox, at least on my OnePlus 6 running postmarketOS with Plasma Mobile:

So looking into making Collabora Office run locally, displayed in some kind of webview should be worth it.

(Or get a Nextcloud instance — IIRC, they offer an all-in-one Docker container that ships with Nextcloud Office, making setup a lot easier.)

1 Like

Did you installed the package: libreoffice-gtk3

sudo apt install libreoffice-gtk3 on a Librem 11 and Librem 5 it should help with context menus, and possibly other menus.

3 Likes

pretty sure that integrations can be done: How to integrate — SDK https://sdk.collaboraonline.com/ documentation like iframes.

2 Likes

@maryjane If it isn’t to much trouble, could you post a screenshot of what this looks like on the Librem 5 with something like writer, calc, or impress?

1 Like

First two pictures are of Libreoffice. On a Librem 5 with Pureos

The Last 3 are of Collabora Online Development Edition 22.05 (an older version, current version of CODE is 24.04). Browser is Firefox, but the zoom level in firefox is at about 90%

|

4 Likes