Modem Error with AldiMobile(Telstra) in Australia running Debian/Trixie(Testig)

I have a Librem5 that I got in early 2022. I don’t recall if I ever had it working for phone calls, I bought it for Debian Development and then got a PinePhonePro. As I lent the PPP to a friend I had another go at getting the Librem5 working for calls with the AldiMobile service in Australia which is a virtual telco using Telstra infrastructure.

When I open the dialler section of the phone app I get the message “Modem devices are not found” and I see the following in the logs from ModemManager. Is this an issue of the phone and Telstra/Aldi not liking each other? Debian not being setup correctly for the hardware? Or is there some other issue?

May 07 18:51:25 purism systemd[1]: Starting ModemManager.service - Modem Manager…
May 07 18:51:25 purism ModemManager[722]: ModemManager (version 1.22.0) starting in system bus…
May 07 18:51:33 purism systemd[1]: Started ModemManager.service - Modem Manager.
May 07 18:51:37 purism ModemManager[722]: [base-manager] couldn’t check support for device ‘/sys/devices/platform/soc@0/38100000.usb’: not supported by any plugin
May 07 18:51:39 purism ModemManager[722]: [base-manager] couldn’t check support for device ‘/sys/devices/platform/soc@0/30800000.bus/30b50000.mmc/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:fffd/mmc1:fffd:1’: not supported by any plugin

1 Like

Have you used the HKS (switched on the modem)?

Did the phone work while running PureOS?

Since your modem does not seem to work, it is too early to conclude if your telco is causing problems.
Also, be aware that inserting your sim must be done while the phone is switched off.

2 Likes

Sorry I can’t even recall if I tried putting a live SIM in it then. I’ve been using it as a small tablet mostly for testing out software and working on Debian.

1 Like

I suggest to flash the L5 back into it’s orriginal state and start troubleshooting from there (if needed).

2 Likes

There are other topics in this forum that discuss a problem with Telstra but I think they relate to the state of VoLTE support with Telstra’s network. That is, I think those users who are using Telstra are getting much further than you are with Telstra. (You may want to review those discussions and you might want to see there whether the choice of MVNO makes a difference.) So it could be Debian or it could be config but either way I would endorse reflashing back to stable, byzantium PureOS and go from there (as the previous reply suggests).

FWIW both Optus and Voda do seem to work with the Librem 5.

2 Likes