Monitor and Wifi in Italy

Next month I will in Italy for a few months with, I hope, my L14 and will need a monitor to use with it. The three stores have been recommended to us are: Euronics, Unieuro and Mediaworld. I was wondering if any of the Italians in forum might have suggestions for better places.

Also I will need fast wifi for the entire time as we will spend part of the time by the sea and was wonder if someone could suggest a provider and hardware? Thanks!

1 Like

Ciao, I’m Italian :grin:
I don’t like to buy in stores because expensive and sometimes not fully working goods (they buy big stocks of defected products for cheap and resell it full price without warn clients that those products are defected). Personally me and many my friends prefer to buy online using eBay or Amazon.
Regarding high speed internet, I suggest you mobile internet but it depends where are you going: you’d check in that place you’re going to, which mobile company offers better mobile internet.
Consider firstly “Iliad”, then Vodafone and Tim. All of three offer 5g connection in big cities and some famous area (but it’s very expensive, except Iliad). Eg. I use Iliad and my plan is €10/mo with unlimited calls, unlimited text and 100gb.
Hope to be useful for you. If you need further info, please ask me. I’m happy to help you.
Enjoy Italy :smiley:

1 Like

This cell map can give you an idea of which carrier covers your destination best. Zoom in for more granular mapping, and click on each of the network speed icons in the lower right corner.

https://www.nperf.com/en/map/IT/-/143640.Iliad/signal/?ll=41.602299193351506&lg=12.818805216698243&zoom=6

@veleno, I’m interested in info about this, too. What do you think of the smaller resellers, such as Coop (sold in supermarkets, I think)? Can non-residents of Italy activate these?
Edit: For primarily mobile data, I mean.

1 Like

Smaller reseller as Coop (I had it) are MVNO. Honestly not suggested. Bad network quality, signal problem, slow internet…
:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I use an MVNO in the US, and the quality is the same as the underlying major network (AT&T). I didn’t realize Coop would be worse than its parent. I’ll avoid it, based on your assessment.

For my next trip to Europe, I’m planning to use a new UK Vodafone SIM, which I bought on Amazon US. Allegedly it’s valid for roaming around Europe, even post-Brexit. If not, I’ll revert to my usual method: a tourist SIM from Vodafone or TIM.

Grazie ancora, @veleno!

2 Likes

is very nice. Thanks!

1 Like

I used to use this one: https://www.cellmapper.net/map , but these days it doesn’t seem to like my locked-down browsers. nperf is just as good, though.

1 Like

You obviously have locked down your browser better than I have as it works for me!

1 Like

Interesting… When I restart the browser in so-called “safe” mode, it works for me. I guess it’s because that allows the Google scripts and the dreaded recaptcha to run. (Although it didn’t provoke me with a recaptcha.)

I’ll stick with nperf! :slight_smile:

(A warm shout-out to the NoScript developer, who happens to be Italian, Giorgio Maone! His protective browser extension is definitely working for me.)

Thanks for your suggestions. It turns out that where we will be at the sea, vodafone has the best service (only 4G). I was looking at wifi modems and was wondering if you know if fwa works with 4G?

Sorry I’ve no idea in fwa works with 4g :frowning:

For example: https://www.tim.it/fisso-e-mobile/fibra-e-adsl/tim-super-fwa (if not for permanent residents only).

This site might be useful as well (depends, if you plan to bring your hardware with you or not), as I recall using something like Supergiga 20GB from TIM over there.

2 Likes

I see that it says that it works with 4G/4G+. Thanks!

1 Like

I am going to be fixed in one location for WFH and got a FWA from TIM which cost 99 EUR and included three months of unlimited wifi and the modem. This was perfect for me. When it comes to moving around. That is the next problem to solve.

1 Like

and other 240 €
CONTRIBUTO DI ATTIVAZIONE

Il contributo di attivazione TIM SUPER FWA è di 240€ per Nuovi Clienti e per i già clienti TIM, rateizzati in 24 rate mensili da 10€ per Nuovi Clienti; in caso di recesso prima dei 24 mesi saranno dovute le rate mancanti. Tale contributo è previsto sia in tutti i casi di Nuovo Impianto e passaggi da altro Operatore, che in caso di passaggio da un’altra offerta TIM. Se in un qualunque momento è richiesta la cessazione dell’offerta, il pagamento a rate del contributo attivazione offerta sarà mantenuto attivo fino alla scadenza delle rate residue, a meno che con l’esercizio della disdetta/cessazione non sia indicata la volontà di pagare in un’unica soluzione. Per maggiori informazioni sulle modalità con cui è possibile pagare le rate residue il cliente può contattare il 187.

1 Like

Why would I want this? In our case, we can recharge it if we want, no further conditions.

It’s a report. Tim says that the activation fee, € 240, is always due even in the event of contract termination.

The citation that you gave is for the TIM SUPER FWA that was not the one we got.