My L5 arrived (15!)

My eyes perked up on this “‘purism’ having ''sudo access” thing.
By “purism” do you mean the manufacturer? Or that techs at Purism has remote access to fix or help?
You know where I’m headed if it’s so.

I like the discussions on in this Topic because it opens my eyes to how easy it may be to become a ‘engineer’ in Linux as described by:

which to me means one can learn to do more in Linux too, than just start, go and, stop.
Today I’ll be book hunting for Linux Basic basics that doesn’t skip basics and jumps into geekineze.
A great many discussions here also help. The forum, for me, is a plethora of ready-made examples and explanations.

I’m still on the fence for the L5 because the IP providers in my area don’t have a clue if it will work or in my area or not. I’ll post the question here in the right Category.

Having fun with Purism on my Z400 workstation though. I finally managed to make it the default O/S on boot. Other Linux O/S don’t do so well when they upgrade.

These forums have been very helpful, educational and eye-opening.
s

2 Likes

No the manufacturer doesn’t have sudo access, purism is the default account name. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

(The above should apply to any Debian-based system. There’s a link from there to download an entire book of basics in .pdf format. You’ll find it in the Conclusion section.)

3 Likes

In theory, any mobile provider worldwide that uses SIM card technology, and isn’t of the type CDMA, should work, as long as said carrier works on the same frequencies (ideally all, or most of them) as the modem in your L5, doesn’t adhere to strict device “whitelists” and doesn’t require VoLTE as a pre-condition to activation. (Once VoLTE is finally working on the L5, that won’t be an issue anymore.)

1 Like

So yes, ssh keys need to be installed to keep the phone secured. Then what is the login? “ssh purism@[name of your phone]”? This is actually the first thing a new Librem 5 owner needs to know if they want to do their configuration work from a PC.

Sorry if the thought of that happening disturbed you. Neither the customer nor Purism wants that!

The misunderstanding was significant enough that I have gone back and edited my post to clarify it.

1 Like

What do you mean by this?

(As far as I recall, SSH is not present by default. So the first thing you need to do is to install an SSH server and configure it - and by definition at least the first part of that has to be done locally.)

The username to log in as via SSH, unless you take other steps, can only be purism since that is the only account that exists.

If you are asking about “name of your phone”, yeah, that’s not going to work on most people’s networks. It will be “IP address of your phone” and the IP address can be established in a variety of ways, depending on the exact network setup.

An ssh tutorial for the L5: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Tips-&-Tricks#secure-shell-ssh

Read further down the tutorials for setting up encryption keys.

5 Likes

The tutorial is very good.

3 Likes