[MyL5] Another Evergreen in the wild!

You know, you could fix that with a handy back door into their operating system… :rofl:

3 Likes

Darn…! :wink:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call the receivers of the devices “customers”, they’re early backers.

I’d also think (as private guess) that all of them would have posted after three years of waiting something here or in Reddit. But this is a private guessing. Let us calculate conservative: only 10% of the receivers have been willing to post. Which gives a weekly batch size of 20 devices. And with this batch size around 100 weeks to deliver to 2000 backers.

But, as Kyle said, the speed perhaps will change…

1 Like

This is a totally unrealistic hypothesis.
There is always a ramp-up phase when the manufacturing of a new product is launched, whether it’s a smartphone, shoes or an airplane.

What exactly is “unrealistic” in my post? The actual batch size of 20 or that the the things will speed up? :slight_smile:

This part:

20 is maybe (or not) the first week batch but not a “weekly batch size” as it will change every week until Purism reaches the maximum speed, then it may decrease once the backlog is consumed to reach a speed adapted to the demand.

1 Like

It is (as a conservative guess) the “weekly batch size” of the 1st week. Let’s see next Wednesday (December 2) how the number of reports “in the wild” has changed.

Very few. And it will continue like that for weeks until they will succed in getting the FCC and/or CE certification for the phone. Until then they cannot put it on the market. All you see now are just “samples”.

If I’m wrong, please correct me.

For info
(More shipping emails received):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Purism/comments/jo59p1/any_news_on_librem_5/

(L5 already received, but with charging problem):

I guess we will have to send an email to all L5 backers asking:

• Are you social?
  • Will you make online posts about the librem 5 when you receive it?

And then create a shipment for only people that said: yes.

It might be a boost for marketing. But that is not how the shipping is being organized…

11 Likes

Well, you could have given out t-shirts or raffle free moths on LibremOne tho those who make a post or similar (in my country plastic buckets would be even better and I have no good explanation for that oddity). Bribery instead of extortion :wink:

But seriously, beyond that, this does kinda gives indicative information for research on community/audience participation. As far as I can remember off-hand, unprompted feedback is often very low - couple of percent or less, depending on several factors (least of all that many are privacy oriented and not even members of common forums) and negative is about 10 to 1 more common, or something like it (people are more motivated to give negative, I guess, even if majority feels positively).

Would it be within bounds to inquire about relative approximate estimates of North-America vs. rest of the world in general and/or that have been shipped so far. I’m wondering how big of a chunk have an additional overseas shipment delay (which may be several weeks if weekends, local holidays and corona-delays happen to mix + normal additional December parcel rush)…?

1 Like

So how many Evergreens have you shipped so far , say plus or minus a couple hundred? I think that’s a fair question to ask

1 Like

I might suggest thinking of your question from the following perspective: you are a company that does research and development and are delivering a brand new product. If I were the person responsible for the delivery process, I would assume that there would be problems with the first deliveries and so decide how many employees I would want to dedicate to trouble shooting the problems, say for argument’s sake x. I would then limit the number of delivered products to ensure that those x employees were not overwhelmed so that the rest of my staff could continue doing their day jobs, which would include implementing lessons learned from the just released batch. I would only grow the batch size when I was confident that the additional orders delivered would not overwhelm the employees dedicated to post-delivery troubleshooting. This would ensure a (more) smooth rollout of the product.

Imagine what would happen if all of the orders were delivered and there turned out to be multiple problems. The company would be overwhelmed and the customers irate.

1 Like

This, and

This.

No matter how many have been dispatched by Purism, if they are going overseas, it will be weeks before reports of “evergreens in the wild”.

I think Purism has made it abundantly clear that they do not consider it a fair question to ask, or at least not a question that is going to get answered.

I don’t know how many times Purism needs to state that.

I am myself more interested in having my one phone than how many other phones are in the wild.

5 Likes

Well, no one can, because…

…everything you wrote is baseless conjecture because we don’t have that information. For this same reason, no one has the information necessary to counter it, which results in a whole lot of nothing. I suppose if you wanted it to be correct (as in, “not incorrect”) you could just delete it.

1 Like
  1. FCC certification is mandatory. - that’s a fact.
  2. Librem 5 doesn’t have it yet. - that’s another fact.
  3. Either Purism is shipping “samples” - that’s a speculation, or they are breaking the law - a possibility.
1 Like

First of all, I’m happy to hear that someone is receiving the phone. I hope to be contacted by Purism for my one asap. I ordered the phone the 17th October 17th 2017, but till now no news about the shipment.
Going on and reading the post, sincerly I have to say that I’m more ‘depressed’ than happy.
When I decided to buy the Librem 5, there was an agreement to port UbuntuTouch on it. Due to the fact that I was and I’m using (and I’m very satisfied) a Aquaris E5 with Ubuntu Touch I was peaceful thinking that if Purism OS didn’t had worked properly , I got the chance to install on it Ubuntu Touch. After some months this chance disappeared. Now, after three year, reading the post I’ll probably receive a phone that is really still behind in the development. I remain convinced of the quality of the project but in any case disappointed by the poor functioning of the device that I will receive. I hope the company will fix many things quickly. I find the issue of energy consumption very negative. My very cheap and old Ubuntu phone can be used for days at least for calls. So I’m already know that the Librem5 will not be my primary phone for a long time.

3 Likes

They are and I’m sure they will be. Every week that goes by things are being improved.

I’m unsure of who made that agreement.

Yes, I have a reflashed Android running UT (more accurately, UBports) and it manages to go about 3 days on standby if not doing much.

Sincerly I’m not interested in knowing who was to make the agreement. The fact is that I got an e-mail from Purism that confirmed it. The fact that the project to port Ubuntu Touch on LIbrem5 stopped was for me really disappointing. I’m not an expert and for this reason I was peaceful to have a choice in case of problems with Puri OS, buying the Librem5 on this base.