[MyL5] Another Evergreen in the wild!

You may have other choices (i.e. besides PureOS), just not UBports - unless and until such a port of UT happens.

There was a time that I hoped to get the L5 by Xmas. Now that I can compare my date lot order I see that I waited to long because I was unsure if this project would result in really shipping devices. So now there are probably plenty of people in front of me in the queue. For me quality of the phone assembly still has the higher priority. I can wait longer. I got a PP to bridge the gap. ^^

Btw. there are already a hole bunch of OSs beeing ported to the PP and maybe Ubports and others will come to the L5 when people have the devices. Just a possibility.

I donā€™t ask about shipping numbers, but at some point it would be interesting to see how orders distribute by continent or even country by percentage. Maybe some day Purism will come up with something. I have patience and atm Purism has other stuff to do.

1 Like

It is worth reading this summary of what has happened with the UBports collaboration: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-Questions#36-how-is-the-porting-of-ubuntu-touch-to-the-librem-5-progressing

The small group of people in the UBports community are overwhelmed with the number of issues that have arisen in porting to the PinePhone and PineTab, so it looks like it will be a while before they have time to dedicate to the Librem 5. Purismā€™s developers are very busy with Phosh.

My reading of the situation is that both organizations want the Ubuntu Touch port to happen, but both have higher priorities right now, so we are just going to have to wait. The delays in getting the DevKit and Birch caused some bad feelings as well, but I donā€™t think that was the real issue.

4 Likes

Uninformed, and at best subjective.

Speculation grounded in opinion, not fact.

Perhaps true, but you havenā€™t supported this claim.

Opinion presented as fact, which you did state. This leads us toā€¦

ā€¦which is the false dilemma fallacy. I did say that your previous statement canā€™t be disproven because the information isnā€™t there, but having come this far I daresay there is text in the FCC regulations to confirm or deny what youā€™ve said. However, expecting me or anyone else to have to disprove your as-yet-unproven claim is a burden of proof fallacy. To wit:

If youā€™re right, please prove it.

6 Likes

I hope there will be the choice one day. In this moment UBPorts is really ahead and on some phones works really well. Maybe itā€™s because since 2015 Iā€™m using one of the first phone with Ubuntu Touch (Aquaris E5 HD) and it works really good despite is ā€˜oldā€™ and not particulary ā€˜fastā€™ but has already many apps (quite all I need). With a porting maybe all this coulb be already avaialble also on a Librem5.

1 Like

Here:

2 Likes

Iā€˜m using since 2015 a BQ E4.5, first with Canonicals UBuntuTouch, now with UBports. All my family, even my 10 years old son, use the same device type and as daily driver. They work quite well, stable and safe.

We should not forget that below the UBports shell and GUI, an older Android kernel is running.

2 Likes

@amarok, with the way you are using your Librem 5, I assume you to be a typical user like rest of the world, how would you rate the battery life?
Does it last 12+ hours?

2 Likes

I doubt that I can be considered a typical user. I rarely initiate or receive actual calls (probably less than 10 minutes per month). I send and receive from 50 to 250 messages per month, some of which may be MMS (not necessarily photos per se, but long format messages from iPhone users, a gif here and there, etc.). I rarely browse the web on mobile, and when I do itā€™s just to check a quick price on amazon, find out a street address I want to navigate to, etc. My email client is checking for email every 15 seconds (Edit: 15 minutes) or so. I almost never use bluetooth. I may use OsmAnd a few times per year, more if Iā€™m traveling away from home. I run a couple of apps to check stock prices, weather, and so on.
Mostly, my Android is just sitting on the table or riding in my pocket.

As for the L5, I am of course testing things out more, using the browser several times a day, sending and receiving an SMS or two, testing a phone call or two, running the email app, doing some stuff in the terminal, checking the PureOS store, installing and uninstalling apps, checking the weather, taking screenshots, turning on and turning off the screen, restarting, playing short snippets of music, testing bluetooth connections, and running wifi. You get the picture.

So, with the L5, considering that I have been mostly running wifi full-time, with the cellular modem off nearly all the time, and with the increased activity over my norm, I think Iā€™ve got to 6 to 8 hours before the 100% charge drained to about 30%, which is the point at which I thought I should recharge. Sorry I havenā€™t done a more scientific measurement by now.

Next, Iā€™m going to leave wifi and bluetooth off, with the cellular modem on, and see what I get. I first have to recharge to 100%, so give me some time to analyze that and Iā€™ll report back here.

11 Likes

This is a guide used to explain through paraphrasing some of the process of obtaining certification via different entities. It mentions cell phones being intentional radiators and then goes on to explain that using pre-certified components makes certification much easier. However, none of it references Purismā€™s status on obtaining certification. Further, this information is now being delivered thirdhand, which makes it hearsay.

All Canonical UT and UBports versions are running on top of an Android kernel.

1 Like

also folks should remember that some people who get their phone NOW are among the ones that were the first to back the phone up (original backers) ā€¦ maybe theyā€™re in the gov. or something and they either wonā€™t post about it or theyā€™re just going to do so when THEY feel like it ā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll probably have a heart attact from shock when I actually get it and die. Plus Iā€™m too tech illiterate to share anything meaningful anyhow. Iā€™ll only be able to use what works when I get it. And thatā€™s okay. I try to keep my expectations low so I wonā€™t be too disappointed. I should use spellcheck too

Even the Pinephone version?

1 Like

Isnā€™t android just google infested linux?

2 Likes

I would say yes. I have here some pointers to slides about the architecture of Canonicals UT and I donā€™t think that there have been a massive change by UBports in the fundamentals of the architecture:

1 Like

@guru, UBports doesnā€™t use the Android kernel for the PinePhone/Tab. Their documentation for the PinePhone/Tab port says:

How is the PinePhone image built?

Unlike our other supported devices, the PinePhone does not require the use of Android drivers or services. Therefore, building Halium for this device is not required. Instead, we build the images for the PinePhone using the debos configuration found in ubports/core/rootfs-builder-debos on GitLab. See the pine64-common.yaml and pinephone.yaml files for the configuration, see the repositoryā€™s readme.md file for information on building the images yourself.

The lack of Android also causes its own problems, which are tracked via the Issues page of this repository.

Additionally, we use the Mesa drivers to run on the PinePhone. The Mir backend for Mesa does not support Mir-on-Mir, which is used by all other supported devices to run applications. Applications running on the PinePhone use the Wayland protocol, not MirAL, to speak to Mir. Therefore, all of the issues posted in the Waylandify project on UBportsā€™ GitHub affect Ubuntu Touch on the PinePhone.

The UBports devs commented that they are making big changes to their core so that they can run the PinePhone/Tab with a standard Linux kernel, and they hope that those same changes will work for the Librem 5 with a little adjustment. UBports paused its porting work on the Librem 5, because first they want to get Ubuntu Touch working right for the PinePhone without Android services, and then they will use that same code to start working on the Librem 5.

8 Likes

Or, more likely, maybe they live in fear of their governments, so they wonā€™t advertise that they have one to anyone. Either way, itā€™s a rational explanation as to why early customers are not making public declarations about their phones.

1 Like

Or they could be phones bought by companies for their staff and nobody cares to post, or doesnā€™t want to speak for their company.

Yeah staying out of gov and big techs way is probably a good idea. Somebody on one the forums said they hoped the arrival of the L5 would put some pressure on the big 3 techies to change their ways or something like that. I thought to myself , no , donā€™t f with them as they have too many lawyers and too much money. They will crush you. Donā€™t poke the big angry dog.

2 Likes