[MyL5] I cannot make phone calls (solved)

No worries! :rofl:
Also note that, as it stands, when your modem is off, you also won’t see your chat history in Chatty. I think there’s a fix in the pipeline for that.

And sometimes your carrier may spontaneously disappear from that settings screen. If it does, just click on Network and hit Set again.

:woozy_face:

I just made my first phone call. The other person heard me just fine but for me the sound was little quiet. Well at least it works.

Is chatty meant to be used as messasing over internet or is it for normal SMS texts? I want send SMS but chatty is asking me to add XMPP account.

2 Likes

Chatty handles regular cellular SMS (and soon…but not yet…MMS). XMPP accounts can also be integrated into Chatty if you want.

For call audio, as with any computer, you can independently adjust the volume of the Internal Microphone in Sound (Settings app). Too high might create distortion. You’ll have to experiment.

And of course, you can adjust the incoming volume with the physical buttons or in the same Sound settings panel (System Volume).

1 Like

You should be able to send SMS using chatty, should not need any XMPP account. You can also ask someone to send an SMS to you, then that received SMS should be shown in chatty and you could respond to it.

1 Like

OH I see, that’s why I couldn’t figure out why it didn’t have an option to create new message. I didn’t know you had to receive the message first before you can send. Also it doesn’t make any sound or show notification when you receive SMS. Yeah L5 needs lot more work before normies will pick this up.

You don’t have to receive a msg first. You should be able to send.
There should also be a blue led signal at the top left of the screen when you have any sort of notification. My L5 plays a pleasant little “bloop-bl-bloop” sound when receiving a msg.

To create a new message, tap the “+” at the top left. Then type a number, or choose someone from your contacts app.

If you need to import contacts from another device, see this community Wiki:

I did see the plus sign but it was greyed out. I couldn’t click on it.

Not sure but it could be that it would no longer be greyed out if you had at least one contact added in the contacts app. There was such a problem at one point I think, that chatty could send to existing contacts but would not let you send by just entering a phone number. But I thought that was fixed a while back. Have you installed the latest software updates? (found in the “PureOS Store” app, in the bottom right corner there)

Is there a way to check what version of PureOS I am running? I updated the OS today again but Bluetooth doesn’t work at all. I tried pairing two speakers and it does not pair with one speaker and the other does not even show up in the list of bluetooth devices.

To check if you are running amber or byzantium you can look in the /etc/os-release file, for me it looks like this:

purism@pureos:~$ cat /etc/os-release 
ID=pureos
NAME=PureOS
PRETTY_NAME=PureOS

VERSION_ID=10.0
VERSION_CODENAME=byzantium

HOME_URL="https://pureos.net/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://puri.sm/faq/#faq-WherecanIfindoutmoreaboutPureOS"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://tracker.pureos.net/"

LOGO=pureos-logo-icon

So it says VERSION_CODENAME=byzantium for me, that is because I chose byzantium the last time I reflashed PureOS to start over from scratch.

Probably it says VERSION_CODENAME=amber in your case since the official switch to byzantium has not happened yet as far as I know. Anyway, check it yourself.

2 Likes

I have removed the SIM tray today because I need to move some stuff onto the uSD card and when I placed it back in, I have no signal again. I restarted the phone and nothing. This time I made sure that the SIM chip is pointing upwards.

Do you see your provider’s name in this panel?

Do you turn OFF the phone first and then removed the SIM tray?
The modem kill switch is ON to read the modem?

False alarm. The SIM has died. I inserted different SIM and it worked fine. I don’t know why this keeps happening to me. This is a third SIM card that became defective.

Salt water & electronics don’t mix? :smiley:

1 Like

Did all 3 Sims die after putting them in the L5? What brand Sim? I’m just curious if there is a link.

1 Like

There’s a reason why old phones had sim slot under the battery:
When you slide in the sim in it’s slot, the phone’s contacts and sim’s contacts get shorted by each other for a moment. This is a simple consequence of sim’s contacts geometry. Forcing user to remove the battery before inserting a sim solved this problem, because the momentary short was always without a power flowing into the devices. Modern phones, I suppose, have protections against such a short. But SIM cards are meant to be cheap and disposable, so I guess they are unprotected and therefore die.

3 Likes

This SIM has never left the house, so there wad never contact with salt water.

No no, don’t worry this is not related to L5. I had three Tesco pay as you go SIMs over the course of several years and they just inexplicably die. Phone can’t even see the SIM at that point. However this last one was working while being inside of L5 for several weeks then I took the SIM tray out because I needed to take the uSD card out (L5 had a restart shock) and when i put them back in suddenly the SIM stopped working.

I think that might be it, together with what Dwaff said. Don’t manipulate the SIM card while the phone is on, this will cause the electrical connections to misbehave and may fry things.