[MyL5] Librem 5 thoughts

Shame about Antenna Pod. I hope the functionality of that improves.
Does anyone with an Evergreen have a suggestion for a podcast app that can search that works?

I use gpodder all the time to listen to podcasts and videos (for Youtube you do need to pull a newer gpodder from Debian sid right now due to changes YT put in that broke older versions of gpodder). Unfortunately the default gpodder isn’t adaptive. I found I only had to change two lines to make it work pretty well on the Librem 5 though. I’ve put my two patch files and the steps here:

1 Like

I believe Disturbed wrote a song about this.
Down With The Thickness
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, I think reading dimensions on a screen is completely different compared to when you’ve got an object you can feel and hold. Actually interacting with something of a very notable size difference, especially when you’ve had years experience with similar items, will take a long time to become accustomed to.

That being said. Right now, while waiting for mine, I don’t think I care. Nor do I think it’ll be able to shrink much if we’re going to have any sort of real modularity. That’s fine with me so long as it continues to be built to last and look nice.

1 Like

What? People go to these beyond the occasional initial web search or maybe to find donation / subscription options? Usually, there’s enough show notes and links in the description. If not, then I think they’re doing it wrong and I find it a bit irritating when hosts just have a couple generic lines rather than all the details. But, I digress.

Sorry, AntennaPod or bust. I’ve been using it for… as long as I can remember. More than 5 years that’s for sure. Whatever other netcast player needs to be able to import the AntennaPod database and support the entire feature set.

I wish there were usable desktop clients but, frankly, there still aren’t. I’ve tried wacky set ups with gPodder and VLC so I can adjust playback speed and that may have been as close to decent as I got. I simply abstain from using anything other than my 'droid.

Which, is fine because, as good as the reviews about the audio on the L5 have been so far, I do want my music & spoken word to be handled by a separate device and my phone to be my communication hub.
To that end, I recently set up Evolution (because of that one account that requires EWS…) and am looking forward to eventually using it on the L5!

Unfortunately, I think it’ll be a very long time before anyone else is able to come close to what the big G’s got right now. Especially because they have hundreds of millions of devices reporting location information that gets used in real time.
That being said, I’ve been able to get by handily with OpenStreetMaps (OSMand) so I assume anything that uses it, will hopefully meet the minimum requirements. Just remember to read street signs!
I do admit that it is frustrating to use OSMAnd sometimes, especially with my low end device, and not all addresses show up for whatever reason, but having started out using hand written directions and physical maps, then various dedicated GPS navigation units, to a tablet and/or phone and some common street sense, it’s definitely usable even if it lacks some features.

Try installing Pure Maps:
https://flathub.org/apps/details/io.github.rinigus.PureMaps

For installing flatpack packages, see:
https://flatpak.org/setup/Debian/

I currently rely on Gmail to sync all my email/contacts/calendar with my phone. I’m not adverse to switching away from that, but there doesn’t seem to be any alternative anywhere in the Linux world.

For now, try: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeOnlineAccounts

For syncing contacts and calendars, CardDAV and CalDAV with NextCloud should eventually work, although I’m not sure what is the current support on the Librem 5 for CalDAV and CardDAV:

I know that Evolution and Thunderbird support CardDAV and CalDAV, but GNOME Contacts and Calendar don’t according to this bug report from 2 years ago:

1 Like

AFAIK, Thunderbird doesn’t support CardDAV natively, you need to install an add-on. I use CardDAV (which means that you need to use CardDAV’s address book instead of Thunderbird’s built-in address book). Others use SOGo.

I’ve used only Open Street Map (Android app OsmAnd) for years, and it always works great at home and when traveling. Users can opt to send in data to help improve the maps, too.

1 Like

btw that [6-8hrs] roughly matches the pureos time on pinephone. My uptime is now 4hrs and battery gauge is 47%.

1 Like

Good to know. I’ve seen the battery gauge drop suddenly toward the end of the charge, but that will be remedied, I’m sure.

HI All

• I have been received my L5 Evergreen, nothing bad to say on L5 knowing all the work that they made this come true, also I know it need more optimization to make it work amazing.
  • Talking of the width of the L5 it is normal nothing bad, other linux-type devices are also wide like n900, n95, more. The wide of the L5 it is for the modular device, I am fine.
  • The bad calibration of the battery is due to a bug in the kernel, also the pinephone has that bug.
  • Talking of the heat of the L5, it is because it need more optimazation into kernel, but also L5 has a powerfull cpu, that produces more heat, and dissipates it around the top edges.
  • Talking of the weight of the L5, nothing bad, it is caused for big battery, genuine & modular parts. I am OK.
  • Call work, sms work, bluetooth work, headset work, charging work, browser work, almost everything work. I think with Linux 5.10 will work a lot better than now with 5.9
  • Also the L5 come with a professional orange color led for camera, the orange color will help a lot to calibrate the colors on picture captured by the camera sensor.
  • Librem 5 it is not a conventional smartphone, it is a free-software, privacy, security, pure, modular, computer and smartphone homemade never made until the L5 came by Purism.
8 Likes

I’d like to add your info to this page.

Do you mind sharing your cellular provider? Have you tested data? Do you activate the SIM (first time it was used) while in the Librem 5 or was it first activated in another phone?

That may not be good enough - because there may be a time delay between a developer (above) saying that merge requests are available that mostly or completely fix a problem and that update becoming available for download.

Patience will be a virtue.

To me, it comes back to what I wrote above.

If you want to persevere then you will have to raise issues, and look out for updates coming through, and monitor the progress of updates that fix problems that are relevant to you, and be prepared to go through iterations of that. That benefits the community but it asks something of you.

Or you may want to park the phone for a few months and by then a lot of these niggly problems will have gone. It’s up to you.

Or any email client that can handle IMAP, really. And I don’t know of any that doesn’t, since the protocol is from 1986, and the latest updates from the early or mid 90’s.

I do believe you have to go into your settings on the gmail web interface to enable IMAP access though. At least, I vaguely remember having to do that back in the day.

I like protocols from the 80s. Feels like a real honest protocol, from the time before everything became such a mess. When they still do the job, let’s keep using them! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Back then we were not trying to run everything over HTTP(s) :wink: I like those too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They were a lot easier to grasp too. Not in small part because they tended to be cleartext, and could therefore be easily examined. While part of me kind of misses those innocent times, most of me is pretty glad we’re phasing that stuff out. :wink:

My favourite part though: RFCs. A term that nowadays means different things to different people or in different contexts. But to anyone who was online and took an interest in Internet technology back in the day it only means one thing: specifications for open protocols designed to keep the Internet interoperable. What happened to those? :frowning:

3 Likes

I think the point was … an old and stable protocol has given every client plenty of time to add the necessary support and even a brand new from-scratch client can grab an open source implementation to get started with.

Mind you, IMAP is more painful than most with its asynchronous, multi-threaded model - as well as other rich functionality.

They still exist, but overgrown their efficiency. if you look in WG meetups they’re like - we didn’t manage to meet formally therefore didn’t manage to discuss anything. Same agenda for the next meeting. bang.

JMAP may be the way of the future here, particularly for mobile devices. It seems to be gaining a bit of traction outside of Fastmail now.

1 Like

@chrisspen I’m curious, now after almost a year, did you follow the updates, or would you now give it another try? Byzantium, a OS-upgrade is around the corner and brings some more improvements.

2 Likes