[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

You can install the librem5-goodies package from the command line, one of the scripts it has is a small yad/bash application to import contacts from a *.vcf file to GNOME Contacts.

You can see here a demo of it:

The new version now supports importing contacts from a vcard file via bluetooth also

4 Likes

Yes, I already have that, but importing from the SIM card isn’t listed as an option. I’ll do it the other way I described.

1 Like

Sorry I miss understood what you wanted. To be honest, I do not know how to pull the contacts from the SIM

1 Like

I know it is not top priority but necessary for every day use…
How is the alarm/clock working? Does it work with screen off?..

1 Like

The phone can’t sleep yet, so it definitely works.

1 Like

Just tested. Yes, it works. Tip: After creating an alarm and closing the edit screen, you then have to select the saved alarm for it to become active.
Edit: It’s a repeating buzz, by the way.

5 Likes

Welcome to the club of people that finally have it in their hands. If you do anything interesting with the fact you can use shell scripts and crontab etc for it I’d love to hear about it.

1 Like

Is there anywhere some kind of wiki / how to / tipps and tricks section anywhere to store information like the librem5-goodies package that @joao.azevedo mentioned above? Or the how-to-unlock root user as mentioned above, too?
I think as soon as more people get in the same lucky situation as @amarok then everybody will raise the same questions over and over again in this forum. So where would be the best place to preserve this info (if not already existing)?

4 Likes

Excellent question. The honest answer, it still needs to be written.

5 Likes

But thanks for putting this issue on the table again.

3 Likes

Maybe have a look at conky? I’d be interested to see how it does on the L5. Some examples here.

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to syncing my files with my Synology nas (music, docs, images…etc) automatically when I get home and it connects to my wifi as a backup solution, is there a good option for local sync function? I’m dead set against anything cloud.

3 Likes

I have to defer to the Purism team on that one… I see Online Accounts as options, but I don’t know about local syncing. I’m not sure how/if the phone can see local storage on your network; if it can, then I assume you could map to it to access your files.
Maybe create a new thread about it to bring it to their attention…

2 Likes

It’s not graphical, but I would be surprised if editing a crontab and running a bash script containing rsync wasn’t an option. Just make sure to have the script exit if it can’t find your NAS first.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking, perhaps running a python script?

If you don’t need graphical, I imagine just about any of the existing sync programs like unison would work.

Yeah I just want it to happen in the background anyways, I don’t need a graphical interface.

Banking “app”…
Just created a web app for my bank’s mobile site. Works like a charm.

14 Likes

The alarm function is a very good point. And a very very important function. If the alarm is unreliable you can miss your train, your wedding, get fired because you are late to work and then you die because you forgot to take your medicine.

I have never seen I mobile device with a 100% reliable alarm function! Not my 20y old cellphone. Not my first smartphone with Win CE and none of my two Android phones. Some of them do ring the alarm most of the time but simply not always. Such things can be a pleasure to debug. cough And then you wake up late and asking yourself if you just didn’t hear it because you slept so deep or if it just did not ring in the first place. This week I watched coincidentally the alarm going on for half a second, making almost no noise, and then stopping!

This function is used by many users and is important as I stated abhove and hard to be implemented with reliability. That’s why I encourage everyone to try it out and have a look at it and help to get it done right. At least with bug reports.

4 Likes

I have a “mobile device” which has a reliable alarm function. It’s a wristwatch, by Casio. It’s even got a silent-alarm mode where it just vibrates. Never had reliability issues with it, and the battery life is impressive.

2 Likes