[MyL5] Received my Librem 5, WiFi doesn't work :-(

Great that it’s stable now.

It seems as if this is an issue to watch.

I don’t really want to drag my whole (2.4 GHz wireless) network down. Fortunately most devices are on 5 GHz anyway. (I see that my 2.4 GHz radio is on 20 MHz width by default, with the other option being 40 MHz - while my 5 GHz radio is on 40 MHz width by default, with the other options being 20, 80 and 160 MHz.)

If you are in a congested environment - lots of neighbors using WiFi or you yourself have multiple WAPs - then there isn’t a lot of point using 40 MHz channels on the 2.4 GHz band. So you aren’t losing much by limiting your access point to using 20 MHz channels.

It is also possible that the WiFi card in the L5 is capable of using a 40 MHz channel on the 2.4 GHz band but the settings from the host aren’t right for that at the moment. Needs more investigation …

In case someone wants to try the newer driver, you can install the deb from CI artifacts at https://source.puri.sm/sebastian.krzyszkowiak/linux-next/-/commits/rsi-2.0.0.0024/ and see whether it improves things (for reference, this is MR 258, just rebased on top of latest commits).

3 Likes

I also had big problems with unstable WiFi but changing the router (TP-link C7) setting to 20MHz (from auto) made it stable. But Librem5 is not the only device with this problem. We had to change bandwidth to 20 MHz for several other connections.

1 Like

Did you rate your UX here?