[MyL5] Received the phone, how to make hotspot work?

Hi Purism Community!

After years of waiting I received my Librem 5 and it’s great to abandon the monopolies! Many people already expressed their excitement, so I just confirm that it’s really amazing!

I have a question: How to use the tethering aka hotspot mode on Librem 5? On my Pinephone it’s working fine and Librem 5 has the Internet:

It seems it should just work the other way around, too, but after setting it up on Librem 5, the Pinephone just does not have the Internet. It shows that it’s connected but says:

mobian@pinephone:~$ traceroute 1.1.1.1
traceroute to 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1  _gateway (10.42.0.1)  54.936 ms  55.174 ms  55.086 ms
2  * * *
3  * * *
and so on.

Please help me to set up the hotspot from Librem 5 to Pinephone.

3 Likes

My understanding: Hotspot is not yet working out-of-the-box. You may be able to get it working by messing around at the lower levels.

For clarity, by hotspot mode on the Librem 5, I mean that the Librem 5 WiFi card is put in Access Point mode and the Librem 5 allows clients to associate and has a DHCP server and can route traffic from the WLAN to the internet made available via the modem card.

Not the other way round with the roles of the Librem 5 and the PP reversed.

Other potential ways that the Librem 5 could make its internet available to “clients” are

• via USB
  • via Bluetooth

Anything which I could type in the terminal to make it work?

1 Like

How do you make it available via USB or Bluetooth? I can’t find any settings in the UI, so I guess it’s some terminal commands? What would those be?

Seems like nothing has happened with the issue for 9 months, and I still have the problem of not being able to tether via Wi-Fi. Did anyone get it working? How in that case?

Is this what you are searching for ?

4 Likes

Sorry. Emphasis was on “potential” and “could”.

However I think that USB at least partly works. You plug it in. It advertises that it is a network connection. You may have to configure the network connection manually - on one or both ends - and that may or may not be GUI. That probably still won’t get routing from one interface to another, so that might be terminal commands.

Tethering via Bluetooth would at this stage more likely be Blueskying. :wink: