[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

I have turned in a college essay while in a moving car using my laptop connected to my phone’s hotspot. It might be easier for you to just try and connect with your computer versus a phone, particularly for troubleshooting.

2 Likes

I have used android hotspot at a location without Ethernet and wifi internet access to connect my laptop via the phone’s hotspot via cellular radio to the internet.

I wonder if the tethering / hotspot stuff is the same WLAN station mode as with ordinary access point or if it is an ad-hoc mode and if a phone or a laptop could act as a kind of repeater or mesh station.

Also: to connect a separate tablet or laptop via the hotspot.

Thai (like many other) translations and keyboard layout haven’t been done or aren’t quite finished, so there probably isn’t anything to change to (hence the default), I’d quess. There are some chalenges to do translations but the keyboard for Thai has been at least started, as can be seen from the link.

For anyone else: layout process is less painless at the moment (and more important in my oppinion), as it’s directly under Purism (and @dcz) - see tutorial.

I found a FOSS keyboard on Android for Thai, I could de-compile the APK and try to work on the Thai layout for Squeekboard

If I got help with any upstreaming if it looked good, I’d be glad to.

Using the L5 as hotspot, my Android appears to connect and have a low-strength connection, but the browser says there’s no internet connection, and an email won’t send when I try.

Using the Android as a hotspot and connecting the L5 works fine.

4 Likes

I personally, am checking my email every day…

I wonder, if it’d be possible to have GNOME and Phosh running concurrently, then have phosh turn off upon docking, then everything “refresh” for GNOME

GNOME 40 would look amazing on the L5 if it could be done… But considering PureOS lags a bit behind Debian Bullseye (I presume) it might be a bit. Bringing back auto rotate would be nice as a toggle-able feature.

How about convergence =)
Do you have an adapter to use the L5 with an external monitor? Than you would not have to send emails around.

Unfortunately, no.

I recommend that you file an issue report about the Thai keyboard not working for you:

Also see this: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-Questions#35-what-languages-does-squeekboard-support-and-does-it-have-a-full-keyboard

It can work, but requires extra steps behind the scenes. We are tracking it in https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/gnome-control-center/-/issues/107 and just haven’t finished the work necessary such that it “just works” out of the box.

6 Likes

Plug and play convergence for Evergreen should come very soon w/ a new kernel update. In the mean time it requires a development kernel and a number of other steps on top of the default image so that it’s plug and play.

5 Likes

Kyle is the goal of Phosh to eventually be its own GNOME mobile shell?

1 Like

I’ve see mockups that look absolutely stunning.

I’m not sure what you mean. It already is a shell that works on mobile form factors as well as desktop form factors and has a lot of UI elements that are similar to GNOME shell.

1 Like
1 Like

I used Whatsapp for quite a while. Basically until it stopped working on Windows phones. I tried finding an alternative {Matrix, Riot, Elements, Telegram, Signal, Jamie, SMS), but to no avail. Everyone is on Whatsapp; nobody is prepared to make the switch (and risk becoming a social outcast).

People still respond to SMS’s, but that’s because it’s sort of ‘build in’. But the fascist provider tactic of blocking the MMS part really doesn’t help.

Meanwhile the pressure from peers, family and others to get back to that Whatsappcrap is getting pretty intolerable, and even somewhat creepy.

I am very curious whether the L5 will offer a viable - preferably more privacy conscious - way of getting back into the loop. To be honest, I have my doubts.

Workable suggestions (i.e. not involving complicated server setups and matrix bridge building and what not) are very welcome. Hope to hear from Evergreen users about their chatting experiences soon…

Modem Manager is a large part of why MMS is not available yet. I think someone posted about that in this thread.

1 Like