New, from Soprani.ca/JMP Chat: an eSIM adapter

Excerpt from their blog post:

…a device that acts exactly like a SIM card and will work in any device that accepts a SIM card (phone, tablet, hotspot, Rocket Stick), but the credentials it offers come from eSIMs provided by the user. With the adapter, you can use eSIMs from any provider in any device, regardless of whether the device or OS support eSIM.

No doubt many Librem 5 owners in the U.S. and Canada (or travelers there) will be happy about this. (EDIT: This actually might be usable in other countries, too, depending on which eSIM services are loaded, and also dependent on modem/frequency band compatibility. Assuming Soprani sells the device outside of North America, too.)

5 Likes

hmm wonder if it works with WayDroid. Otherwise, needs an Android phone to bootstrap it… Or:

This OpenEUICC though might be useful? Seems Android-only for now though.

Caveat I’m not in North America, so I can only dream…

2 Likes

Actually, maybe even in other countries, too…?

(Appropriate frequency bands required, of course.)

1 Like

Nope. Check the blog post again.

1 Like

busted. I stopped reading after clicking the OpenEUICC link. :zipper_mouth_face:

Seems that Ipac has Linux/windows/mac versions available, nice.

5 Likes

It seems they only provide USA and Canada numbers though. Not talking about the esim device… that would probably work everywhere

1 Like

Phone numbers are for the JMP Chat service only. U.S. or Canada number only.

Their optional eSIM and physical SIM service is a data-only account. No phone number; U.S. and Canada service only at the moment. (But you can use it in combination with the JMP Chat service/phone number, i.e. use the SIM/eSIM for data connection, and use the XMPP chat service, too.)

The eSIM adapter is the new offering, and apparently works with any downloaded eSIM. If you also have the JMP Chat service, you can make XMPP calls (and SMS/MMS), regardless of how your data connects - over WiFi or over a mobile data connection (via carrier SIM, Soprani SIM or eSIM, or apparently one of the commercial eSIMs you download using the eSIM adapter.)

They have said they’d like to expand the SIM/eSIM roamability to other countries, but I’m guessing the eSIM adapter might be a way to provide that possibility. More details needed.

2 Likes

yesss with everything going to eSIMs (slowly) this would be a very nice offering. I do have one eSIM provider (for traveling only), of course it all works through an iOS/Android app but if this can help free the eSIM from the app, I’m all for it. One day.

1 Like

Hi Amarok,
I fail to see this as great news for L5 users. Is an eSim not another way of tracking people and/or devices?
I see the eSim rollout as another thread for privacy minded folks like us.
Am I missing something?

1 Like

In terms of tracking, an eSIM isn’t much different from a SIM. That’s the bottom line either way … the SIM identifies you, the subscriber, and if you have the cellular modem switched on then the mobile network is tracking you.

The difference is in control … with a SIM, you control which SIM goes in which phone or other device. With an eSIM, the process is controlled by the MNO/MVNO. However possibly the gadget being discussed here puts some of that control back in your hands.

In the sense that the Librem 5 does not have an eSIM, and probably can’t have one retrofitted, if we reach the point in the future that some MNOs/MVNOs don’t offer a SIM at all, and only offer eSIM, then this is good news because this may extend the useful life of the Librem 5.

6 Likes

I think it’s good in that it gives Librem 5 users more options, and maybe the option to roam outside their home countries more cheaply.

There are many eSIM providers out there: some are from regular mobile carriers (T-mobile, Vodafone, etc.) and/or MVNOs (resellers on those carriers’ networks), and some are from purveyors of “travel solutions,” e.g. Airalo, eSIM2Fly, eTravelSIM, just to name a few that an internet search turns up. They all have their own privacy policy, I’m sure.

It’s the user’s call whether to subscribe, and to which one(s), based on the particular privacy policy, the company behind the product, the country it comes from, etc.

And since in this case it sounds like the eSIMs would be loaded onto a removable card (like this commercial product: https://esim.me/ ), the L5’s killswitch should still be able to disconnect it when the user wants.

The carrier whose network you’re on will always have the ability to know who and where you are, and potentially the various eSIM providers as well. So choose well.

Personally, I’m not concerned about hiding from the network carrier; I need them for service, and they need to identify my SIM card. I’m also not very concerned about “The Government™” or law enforcement agencies… unless I’m traveling in a “hostile” country, which I don’t see myself doing.

That said, I still prefer regular old physical SIMs, even while roaming abroad. It’s just so easy to swap them around, and they provide calling and SMS/MMS, while eSIMs do not.

2 Likes

I should qualify my previous comment with this:

Mobile carriers that provide eSIMs to eSIM-only devices do provide SMS/MMS and calling functionality via the eSIM, I’m guessing. If they offer an eSIM for international roaming as a plan add-on, that usually provides only data; eSIMs from travel SIM companies are typically data-only as well.

4 Likes

I understand your point but remember that all of the above is a data breach waiting to happen.

In my country, it’s the telecommunications companies that are obliged by law to collect and retain all the data - and they hand that over to the above when “asked”. In the meantime the collected data is always at risk from accidents, insiders, hacktivists, criminals, foreign governments, …

As you say though, if you need mobile service then the provider has an unavoidable need to know which tower is best for you and in some cases which sector is best for you and, as a result, does know at all times while you need mobile service your approximate location. And none of that differs at all between SIM and eSIM.

2 Likes

And this is often because local laws/regulations require proof of identity to be submitted to local carriers, or residency permits, or anything of the sorts, before getting an actual phone number. It is the case in my country of residence, and quite a few that I have visited. Data SIMs are usually exempted or have less stringent requirements, probably to make it easier for tourists…

2 Likes

Might also have to do with the costs (to the roaming SIM vendor) of contracting for and providing calling and texting features on the foreign host network(s).

2 Likes

Phone numbers are by definition a scarce resource, so it costs $X/month just to hold a phone number.

As always though, the details will vary by country.

2 Likes

Glad to have the HW kill switches that clearly and visibly can be turned off….

3 Likes

Thank you all for your replies.
So privacy is more or less the same as to using SIM cards.
The only disadvantage seems to be less flexible when using multiple phones.

1 Like

I would say, rather, that eSIMs potentially can be more privacy-abusive, depending on where you get them from, and the privacy policies that apply there. But you can probably trust your mobile carrier’s eSIM more than those of third parties.

Even then, it’s worth checking the privacy policy for data-tracking clauses.

2 Likes