New GNOME release 3.36

since both “stable” and “testing” PureOS come with the GNOME desktop-environment out-of-the-box i thought it might be worth posting a link to the updated 3.36 version.

and since this are non snoople links all the better …

imo this version has addressed some of my previous “missing-features” so i’m quite satisfied with it. more polish is always better.

does PureOS “testing” already include by default the 3.36 release ?

4 Likes

Right now Byzantium contains a few minor 3.36 apps, such as GNOME Calculator. Otherwise it’s 3.34 (except GNOME Software is still noticeably version 3.30).

1 Like

Since a few days I have one package not being upgraded. I thought maybe this has to do with upcoming updates in GNOME (or maybe I’m in the wrong place here to ask).

unattended-upgrades/byzantium 2.0 all [upgradable from: 1.17]
unattended-upgrades/now 1.17 all [installed,upgradable to: 2.0]

Will that upgrade itself at one point or do I need to manually do something?

1 Like

This is kind of automated apt upgrade. If you want to continue to use it and be familiar with, maybe you should read: https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades and decide by yourself what you want to do (as next).

Ah, got it. So that means I’ll have to do something manually in order for the “1 not upgraded” to be cleaned up? :smiley:

isn’t that what cron autoclean is for ?

$ man unattended-upgrades:
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man8/unattended-upgrade.8.html

$ sudo unattended-upgrades --dry-run -d

NOTE (please read): “Just remember, if you opt to enable automatic upgrades, have a solid backup solution at the ready. You never know when an upgrade could go sideways. To that end, have both a data backup and a bare metal backup in place. Always.

In short, you might decide to apt purge unattended-upgrades or control it: consider unattended-upgrades/byzantium 2.0 all [upgradable from: 1.17] as warning.

I actually don’t want to use unattended-upgrades, but I’m still wondering why it’s sitting there not being upgraded. Could you explain what the reason for this is?

I think the key word here is dependencies. At the moment I’m not using PureOS Byzantium but if you type within Terminal (this is just output - no changes to your OS):
$ sudo unattended-upgrades --dry-run -d
and post here this output someone may help you further with your decision. If you are not advanced user I recommend to remove unattended-upgrades from your current installation/system. You need to look at which dependencies can change/break/remove with apt upgrade, considering this step as apt-get dist-upgrade. As first, please type within Terminal: $ man apt-get and read about dist-upgrade, as second type: $ man apt and read about full-upgrade.

1 Like

apropos dependencies.

how would i go about creating a stand-alone .AppImage for the network-manager-gnome package ? it says it’s a GNOME front-end for managing network devices and connections but it also says that it’s built from the source package > https://packages.debian.org/source/bullseye/network-manager-applet

what is a “source-package” in this case ?

also would an .AppImage created from Bullseye dependencies work for Buster ?

an .AppImage would be quite easy to store on a usb-thumb-drive and insert after a clean install of ANY “testing” distro and it would insure that i don’t have to worry if the network-frontent comes pre-installed or not. i prefer not to use wi-fi so this front-end is a necessity to establish an ethernet PPPoe connection after each clean install.

https://tracker.pureos.net/T895 - here’s the corresponding ticket

You already know more on this subject than I (it took me some time to understand your question). Last weeks I’m short of time for any PC, but I hope there is a way to implement what you are up to. To find out more about packaging from source you might follow or ask here. Or maybe this source might work for you (Next is network-manager-applet-1.16.0). Last but not least, Gnome link is here (or take both links and paste within your browser, under download tab choose master file that you need). It’s only a suggestion/direction that might work for you, not an expert guide and hope you’ll find/test by yourself if this helps in having adequate answer.

1 Like

thanks ! i’ve found all links useful !

the thing with this is i don’t necessarily WANT or need to use the front-end. it’s just that it’s easier to set-up this way … but not all distributions come with it preinstalled or have it VISIBLE in the application screen. example : for the ubuntu LTS (18.04.4) you have to manually type in nm-connection-editor in a terminal to bring up the front-end then pin it to favorites if you want to have it handy. how is a beginner supposed to figure this out ?

i would be more than happy if i could use a script to execute for setting up a PPP-oe wired connection instead of the GNOME front-end but so far i’ve been unable to.

i’ve been thinking about installing testing versions of debian and the-manjaro-architect installer but i don’t know how to set-up the PPP-oe connection DURING the install procedure so i can use the net-install .iso builds. with wi-fi it would be easier but i don’t want to use that if i can help it.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the explanation and resources, this helped me a lot. Since I don’t need the software I removed it.

1 Like

Thanks for the link anyway

well there is the package pppoeconf in https://packages.debian.org/stable/net/pppoeconf

install with

sudo apt install pppoeconf

then

sudo pppoeconf

and go through the text based CLI “wizard” … but the point is it’s not installed by default in every distro … and you would need acces to the internet FIRST for that …

#replying-to-myself :mask: