New intel flaw found

https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-crosstalk-attack-impacts-intels-mobile-desktop-and-server-cpus/

1 Like

Basically doesn’t effect any non-server CPU that Purism offers. So a non-starter.

Have a nice day. :+1:

How did you get that? I checked i7-7500U (v4 laptops) and that is listed as affected.

2 Likes

No you’re right, I looked a little too hastily. Now that I’ve looked again the question is better asked, what CPU from Intel ISN’T affected?

Looks like all of the chips sold now and in the past are affected.

Still I’m not worried.

For consumer Core iN CPUs, the table basically lists everything from 4th generation onwards. I wouldn’t take it as gospel that earlier Core iN CPUs do not have this flaw. It could be that they are too old to be “supported” and Intel didn’t bother to spend the time and effort to investigate the problem on the earlier CPUs.

However assuming that to be vulnerable to this flaw, the CPU needs to support either RDRAND or RDSEED or SGX then, if I recall correctly, 2nd generation should be safe (no RDRAND and definitely no RDSEED or SGX) and 3rd generation status is unknown (to me).

My tentative answer - strictly looking at consumer CPUs - would be 2nd generation and earlier - and also all Atom CPUs.

Correct. For an end-user Linux device, you should be safe because you don’t typically run untrusted code or give untrusted users access to your device.

Operators of multi-user servers and of virtualised devices should be worried - which means that you should be a little bit worried because your personally identifying information is being handled by a large number of computers that would fall into the vulnerable category.

Hence it should be important to everyone that mitigations are developed and then deployed widely in an expeditious manner.

2 Likes