New Librem 5 phone not initializing

Just opened the box, charged the phone and started the setup procedure. I accidentally typed in the wrong disk decryption passcode and it froze at that point. Manually powered off and back on, put in the correct passcode, the UI said crypt_root: set up successfully and then the screen goes blank and nothing happens after that.

I’ve tried it 5 times and the same thing happens every time.

Any ideas?

1 Like

I have a theory that after the screen goes black after “crypt root setup successfully” and during that loading phase, that if I wonder “Hey why is it black?” and instinctively tap the power button as a means to agitate the device and cause it to show something onscreen like what we expect from Android or whatever, that instead the touch of the power button is treated like what we would see on a desktop PC and tells it essentially to interrupt the boot process and instead power off.

So, this is a long shot and just me sharing my personal problems, but is there any chance that in these 5 cases when the screen went dark that you might have even lightly bumped the power button while the screen was dark, as if to check its status? In my experience, the proper way to boot is to never touch the power button until after the screen shows the current time on the software lock screen.

But maybe that’s just me.

1 Like

No, I’m not touching anything. It seems that by typing in the wrong decryption passcode on the first try, it caused the initialization process to crash and now the phone doesn’t know how to recover.

Is there any way to do a factory reset?

1 Like

You can flash it with a new image, but try pressing Volume Down after the “crypt root setup successfully” when it’s on the black screen.

This will reveal the SystemD log messages and maybe give some idea to the issue.

My guess is fsck.

2 Likes

Console message:

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/cfc… does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

1 Like

Here: Reflashing the Phone

1 Like

I would try to pick off the battery of the phone, back place it in. Charge it. Turn on. And The Pass-code is 1,2,3,4,5 and put the Valium Down Button to see/read the error Messages during boot. You may see some more verbose error codes.

Good Luck!

P.s.: Feel fine to use Skalman’s reflash.

1 Like

Thanks to all for the help. I will reflash the phone and that should fix the problem.

2 Likes