New Post: From the Hackdesk: Librem 16

Considering every other Librem-numbered product has direct correlation to its screen size, there is little reason to believe the Librem 16 will be an exception.

With your thought process, provide an explanation of the Librem 12’s omission.

I think it is only an assumption at this stage, one that I would subscribe to, but an assumption nevertheless.

1 Like

Not to mention the omission of 6 through 10.

1 Like

Then I am also inclined to mention the omission of 2 through 4, as the “Librem One” also exists.

2 Likes

My thought process was this: originally, the Librem 13 and 15 were same hardware base but slightly different markets (ultra-portable vs true laptop with viewable display area) Then the next model 14 was a trade-off between those two formats - which conveniently reduced manufacturing costs and inventory. Along the same line, the tablet was 11 because of its smaller 11" display - who would really want a 16" tablet? So this new number 16 could mean a 16" display - but I think this would be a grave marketing mistake - nobody wants a laptop bigger than 15" nowadays - and the new Nitropad NS70 (a true 17") does not sell: too big and too heavy, really a “transportable” desktop more than a carry-around laptop.

1 Like

Okay, time for a poll.

If the Librem has a 16" display, would you find this format convenient?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
4 Likes

OK. I will not participate in the poll, in order not to skew the results .-)

1 Like

Up to you, I definitely voted yes.

My assumption is purely based on when the Librem 14 was announced with the same footprint as the Librem 13, but with smaller bezels: https://puri.sm/posts/purism-launches-librem-14-successor-to-security-focused-librem-13-product-line/

The most distinctive feature of the Librem 14 is the new 14″ 1080p IPS matte display which, due to the smaller bezel, fits within the same footprint as the Librem 13.

A 16" laptop seems uncommon to 15" and 17" laptop sizes.

3 Likes

Of course! And so would I. But more because I love Purism products and I now want a faster gen 13/14 core to replace my L15; and not really because I find the format convenient.
So the poll’s question should have been: if it is a 16" display, would you find this format convenient?

2 Likes

The poll question has been changed, so feel free to (re)vote.

2 Likes

I agree with your assumption. If they can fit a 16" LCD inside a bezel the size of the Librem 15, that would be the best choice marketing wise. It would not scare people off, thinking of a big bulky and heavy laptop.

2 Likes

At System76 I have actually seen more of their 15" laptops be replaced with 16" laptops. I am curious if they are following a trend, if its dame footprint through smaller bezels, or both.

1 Like

Librem 16 has a normal right Shift key adjacent to /?. The arrow keys are reduced height to fit below it.

12 Likes

Yes this is the direction, it’s about the same size as a Librem 15 with a larger screen and smaller bezel.

Here it is back-to-back with a Librem 15v4. Librem 16 is a bit narrower and just a little taller.

12 Likes

Looks nice!! What is that mini square inside the touchpad?

2 Likes

Looks like a fingerprint reader :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is a fingerprint reader in this prototype, but the touchpad will probably change, the fingerprint reader might not be there in production.

4 Likes

Will L16 an Ultra i9 cpu?

2 Likes

In the first photo, the hardware kill switches are near the top left instead of centre, a dedicated power button exists on the top right, and speaker grilles are present on the left and right side of the keyboard. In the second photo, there also seems to be two additional sensors at the top of the bezel, with no in-built webcam, instead being replaced by another sensor.

1 Like