New Post: Librem 14 Update: Shipping Starts in February with Extended Battery

No emails for me, ordered when presale started in July.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure thatā€™s because they didnā€™t want anyone that orders one today to expect it to ship to them in Feburary :slight_smile:

I removed the ā€œstarts shipping in Februaryā€ when I updated the shipping estimate for new orders, because everyone seems to be particularly sensitive to the wording on that page and since we are well into February now and havenā€™t started shipping yet I saw that text and didnā€™t want it to lead to any confusion or more claims that we are somehow trying to be misleading.

This too. Having multiple dates there, even if I felt like it was clear what it meant to me, Iā€™ve learned doesnā€™t mean everyone does, and I could see some people skim the page and see ā€œstarts shipping in Februaryā€, ignore the next part, and then get upset that the order they just placed today didnā€™t ship in February ā€œlike you promised on your siteā€.

5 Likes

today I was informed by our IT department that my planned PC replacement is moved by 6 months (to Q3, not just myself but all planed waves are shifted) due to supply shortage at our vendor (hp). Soā€¦ if hp is out of supplies then complaining on purism for similar action is a bit dishonest.

And yes, i know that I can still purchase off-the-shelf laptop at the HW store, but f.i. Iā€™ve tried to book some models over past two months in shops (which are marked as available, just was eyeing the new models and trying to reserve one in stock) but the reservations orders were canceled and the model was marked as not in stock anymore after that.

3 Likes

Thank you. Itā€™s rough out there. We all value timely and accurate information but when thereā€™s so much uncertainty all around us, one will likely come at the cost of the other.

2 Likes

I think a lot of people outside of the industry assume the supply chain disruptions were just for a month or so at the beginning of 2020, after which everything went back to normal.

Instead ripple effects have continued to go on throughout the industry at each level of the supply chain. Not all vendors throughout the supply chain survived the lockdown. Others retooled their factories to make PPE. Others are operating with partial staff to comply with regulations or themselves are having difficulty down their own supply chains which limits their output.

In the case of the computer industry there have also been unique changes as the demand for low-end computers and tablets spiked dramatically for distance learning. And of course shipping is widely unpredictable now too. Itā€™s a jungle out there.

5 Likes

Are laptops ordered in August going to be shipped in March?

2 Likes

I reached out it Ops. I ordered my laptop earlier this month, I want to say the 1st or 2nd is when payment finalized. I reached out to ops for an idea based in my placement in the queue. I was told more theb likely towards the end of March. I would assume youā€™re going to get yours before I get mine. Keep in mind, this assumption is based off if the shipping timeline staying the same.

3 Likes

Any updates @Kyle_Rankin ? Expectations as of now?

3 Likes

@Kyle_Rankin it would be nice to know if yā€™all are still on track for what has been mentioned. If you have a moment.

3 Likes

:thinking:

February
Su	Mo	Tu	We	Th	Fr	Sa
 	-	-	-	-	-	-
-	-	-	-	-	-	-
-	-	-	-	18	19	20
21	22	23	24	25	26	27
6 Likes

A word of advice to purism if they want to remain solvent. Most security minded folks are pretty conscientious and not particularly agreeable. Sales and Marketing need to take a leaf out of this book: https://www.amazon.com/Managing-Customer-Expectations-Understanding-Characteristics/dp/3838317173

Frequent, concise project updates (good or bad) will keep invested customers from turning from advocates to character assassins when product delivery times are impacted from factors outside of your control.

7 Likes

Or common decency, one would hope.

2 Likes

I completely understand wanting to get an update, considering how far into February we are. Please understand it sometimes takes longer than weā€™d like to get information together, write and edit an update and publish it (and even longer to then assemble the list of pre-orders and email the update out). We are working on it though and hope to publish an update soon.

6 Likes

Sounds like another delay thenā€¦

3 Likes

Sure, I think the world in general is in rather short supply of that. But any1 is not wrong. The type of crowd that Purism caters to is not known for their particular patience and understanding.

3 Likes

The U.S of A is all about FREEDOM !!! please continue exercising free speech ā€¦

2 Likes
February
Su	Mo	Tu	We	Th	Fr	Sa
 	-	-	-	-	-	-
-	-	-	-	-	-	-
-	-	-	-	-	-	??
??	22	23	24	25	26	27
4 Likes

static string GetLibrem14ShippingDate(DateTime TodaysDate)
{
DateTime ShippingDate = TodaysDate.AddMonths(2);
string ShippingMonth = ShippingDate.ToString(ā€œMMMMā€);
string Shippingyear = ShippingDate.Year.ToString();
return string.Format(ā€œOrders placed today ship end of {0} {1}ā€, ShippingMonth, Shippingyear);
}

2 Likes

java.lang.ShippingDateOutOfBoundsException: Index: 2, Size: 1
at java.util.ShippingDate.rangeCheck(ShippingDate.java:657)
at java.util.ShippingDateBoundaryCheck.get(ShippingDate.java:433)
at com.Customer.Librem.14.ExpectationManagement.comfortCustomer.sendRegularStatusUpdate(customerEMailAddress.java.1)
:nerd_face: :wink: :crazy_face:

1 Like