New Post: Librem 14 Update: Shipping Starts in February with Extended Battery

Hello world,

You’re right it’s not the right thread to talk about this subject.

However, I agree with them because according to this update, the L14 deliveries have been postponed again and there is no guarantee that it will be again.

This is the first time I see for an order that has not yet been shipped can not be refunded because if before that, you had mentioned on the L14 “pre-order” instead of “Buy”, I would have waited before taking action.

Like many others but obviously you are not ready to give back the hard work they have acquired over the months or years.

:pensive:

1 Like

It feels like everyone here is taking a hard swing at Kyle here, and the guys is taking it really well. Let’s give Kyle, and the company a break here?

The issues that have happened don’t seem to be the fault of the company for the most part, most of it, uf not all of it being out of their control. In regards to the pre-order and a refund, as Kyle quoted, it’s all in the return policy. They didnt hide, nor lie about anything.

4 Likes

@Wushu good point

I apologize for muddying the thread, and I did want to say thanks for being so responsive @Kyle_Rankin, your updates are appreciated. Good or bad (obviously we all favor the good) I’m grateful for the communication.

3 Likes

I flinch with embarrassment when I read a thread like this where slander is so easily thrown about. A product is not only measured through the veracity of the vendor but the character of its buyers. And as a potential buyer, I would be very turned off with the lack of discipline we show in casting shade. Folks are folks everywhere no matter which side of the cash register they’re on.

Every single one of us is impacted by this pandemic. And as someone who is trying very hard to get two vendors to work together so we can get a shipment moving that’s been stuck in Vegas for weeks now, we could all use a little grace. It’s a little bananas so let’s try to not add more bananas to the pile.

I am looking forward to making my L14 purchase here soon. The staff here are all laughing, “Let me guess! Purism with Qubes, right?”

“Yup!”

“We’re gonna add a time entry section for installing Qubes!” :neutral_face:

I won’t lie, configuring Qubes is fun. I recommend it to anyone. They nailed it.

Thanks for the update @Kyle_Rankin.

7 Likes

Nope, nothing yet…any update for us @Kyle_Rankin ? :grinning:

5 Likes

That would be an interesting topic – which OS are you going to run on top of a Librem laptop. I’m looking forward to try out Guix OS (not only as a package manager) on it.

1 Like

Guix is intriguing but, frankly, I only intend to run Qubes OS on it. I can’t fully explain this but I really feel more productive in the Qubes environment. I think the forcing function of creating workspaces for different kinds of work helps with creating a sense of flow. So not only do I like it from the perspective of security but also from a place of OS “happiness”? I am not sure if this makes sense entirely.

The worst environment for me is Windows. After that OS X. With the various Linux DEs, I can separate the work into different virtual spaces. But nothing really achieves it like Qubes. So Qubes it is for me.

Is there anything in particular that makes Guix stand out to you? I check in on it every now and then. It’s interesting.

1 Like

A bit off topic, but I’m new to Linux in general, and my L14 will be my introduction, but any idea if it is possible to run Qubes on a 13" 2012 MacBook Pro? Even as a dual boot solution? It’s what my L14 will replace so I am looking forward to experimenting with it once the L14 is up and running.

1 Like

@Corbeau - I’ve been interested in running Qubes for my daily driver, do you develop on it at all? Is it a big deviation/learning curve from a development standpoint? Maybe you have some tips?

2 Likes

Qubes publishes a hardware compatibility list here: https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/. I believe it’s possible. I would not suggest dual-booting with Qubes. Like Windows, it’s a jealous partner and does not like to share.

A couple of caveats. I do highly recommend playing with Qubes before committing to it as a daily driver. It took me a couple of failures to get things right. I’ve used Linux since my college days, which was about 20 years ago (Slackware represent!) and it took experimenting a bit to get things just so. If you are new to Linux, you will be learning two OSes at the same time and that may be stressful. Qubes is really a Xen hypervisor combined with Linux. Even this is description is inaccurate but it gives some level of direction. It’s quite unique. So giving yourself some time is a great idea.

I strongly believe in diving in and getting one’s hands dirty. So I do not want to warn you off. But I would be prepared for a steep learning curve. I believe the return will well be worth the effort.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. In time, the MacBook will become the sacrificial lamb experimental notebook, so having it not working all the time is not a big deal, just more opportunities to learn.

1 Like

I am not a developer. I am an entrepreneur. President Business. But I am a former developer so I have some sense of these things. It is really going to depend upon your IDE, frankly. If one develops within a native Linux IDE, there will be no problem. Just create your template, if necessary, and build your AppVM off of the template. More here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/getting-started/

If one uses Visual Studio then that means building a Windows HVM: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/standalone-and-hvm/. One will likely also want to use the Qubes Windows Tools found here: https://github.com/Qubes-Community/Contents/blob/master/docs/os/windows/windows-tools.md. Note that Windows 10 is not fully compatible with QWT at this time.

As far as tips go, I recommend reading the documentation and then playing with it for a while before making a hard commit. If one has a spare machine to be experimented upon, I would highly recommend that. I had a spare HP laptop that was my guineau pig for some time before I deployed it on my Librem.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

Thank you @Corbeau for the info! Luckily I do have a spare comp I can throw it on, so I’ll take you up on that suggestion and start messing around with it :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Awesome and feel free to message me or post on this forum so we can keep your progress moving forward!

2 Likes

I have Qubes on L15 v4 and everything works.

As of normal use, I have the following VMs running in parallel:
-VPN-Vm Proxy
-Firewall-VM
-Net-VM
-Work-VM
-Web-vm
… and I’m fine with it.
Yes, its a bit of a learning curve. I myself am a software developer for many years and found it feasible

3 Likes

Thank you! I may PM you and @Corbeau, or heck maybe start a new thread :wink:

1 Like

The text shipping starts in February 2021 has been removed from the product page. Does this mean they started shipping :flushed:?
All that is says now is new order will arrive end April 2021.

3 Likes

Good question for @Kyle_Rankin and maybe an update on where we are for emails/shipping start dates?

1 Like

I bought myself into another users order that was issued in early December 2020 and it is “my” oder now.
I wasn’t notified as of so far …

2 Likes

No emails for me either, my order was in August 2020.

1 Like