New Post: Librem 5 4500mAh Battery Upgrade

Those are two rather important pieces of information from use perspective. Should be made know in the official FAQ and manual (if not already).

1 Like

I would buy a spare battery, and I recommend everyone to do that because:

• free shipping as it would come with the pre-ordered package.
  • only Purism make them
  • easy swapping
  • fast charging affects the batteries, having two of them helps prolonging their life
  • convenience having a spare fully-charged battery around
  • it’s not that expensive… I guess

@Kyle_Rankin, can we pre-order the spare battery (and other accesories) so to be sure you have them on stock at the moment our phone’s shipping time arrives? It can give you an idea of your stock needs too.

2 Likes

Yes, here: https://shop.puri.sm/product-category/phones/accessories-phones/

In the shipping confirmation email we are sending out, we also point people to that page and if they placed an order for accessories we ask them to share the order # with us so we can link the two orders together and ship them at the same time.

3 Likes

But will it work for Europe? AFAIK I cannot order a battery from the US, right?

So, if I got it right then I order the battery now and pay for the shipping. Purism will not ship my order as yet.
When I receive my Librem 5 order confirmation email, I mention my order number for the battery, my Librem 5 and battery orders will be combined into one package and shipped. Purism will then revert back the shipping payment I make for the battery order.

Did I get everything right?

3 Likes

Yes! That’s exactly right. Just to prevent any confusion it probably also wouldn’t hurt if you mentioned in the order comments field that you’d like this to ship with your Librem 5 order.

5 Likes

Will there be or does somebody make a compatible standalone charger?

$50 shipping cost to Romania for one battery. Auch!.. If I add to the cart also an SD card the shipping cost become $64. Even if these money are returned to me, the non-negligible currency conversion costs and possible lock on this sum for a few months until my phone ships make me not to pre-order now the accessories.

Maybe this process can be simplified… like using special coupons on order, or a special shipping item… Or maybe it just not worth the trouble.

1 Like

No, the request was for a standalone charger - so that you can charge a spare battery outside of the phone.

Don’t place your accessories order until you receive your “pre-shipping email”. Then there should not be months of elapsed time, perhaps only a week or two of elapsed time.

The rules vary from country to country, parcel carrier to parcel carrier - so do you research - but … you should get away with ordering a spare battery with your phone. The phone obviously has a battery inside it - and the rules typically compromise to allow you to ship a battery if it’s inside a phone, even though whatever risk of spontaneous combustion is there probably still exists. If the rules didn’t make that compromise then it would near impossible to order a phone (or a laptop or …) from overseas.

Perhaps Purism needs to engineer an ultra-cheap, mockup phone that is devoid of components - in which to ship spare batteries. :rofl:

1 Like

taxidermy … only for digital devices :joy: what a great idea

3 Likes

But if I wait for the confirmation email to arrive (say, in February), there might not be in stock all the accessories I want to buy. A later purchase of accessories is not feasible for me because of the high shipping cost.

Purism knows how many phones to build but it can only guess how many accessories will sell. I don’t see Purism keeping large stocks of them…

So an easier way to preorder the accessories would make me happy…

1 Like

I think you may mean something like this. They are cheaply found online - just connect you own USB charger on the side of it. I’ll test this as soon as get an L5 with a battery. Worked with Nokia batteries though.

you could try pitching Purism’s L5 and battery accessory to some local online-shop that AFFORDS buying these in higher quantities and then order from them assuming that their stock is still standing.

I have one that I bought on Amazon years ago and used it to charge batteries from half a dozen different phones (it has movable charging pins). The only drawback that I can think of is that you will have to make sure the one you buy will open wide enough to hold the presumably large battery. The spring on mine broke a few months ago – I’ve been using a rubber band to hold batteries in ever since.
Edit: I apologize for the long quote – I only quoted less than 10 words, really. It even shows that way when I went back to fix it. I can only conjecture that it is an artifact of Firefox on Pinehone Manjaro. Can’t wait for my Evergreen!

1 Like

Also depends on the orientation of the pins relative to the opening i.e. may need to open wide enough for the width of the battery or may need to open wide enough for the height of the batter.

that’s how gov. does it and it’s worked out so far …

From one of the videos, I captured this:
L5 battery - 2000mAh Birch
So, no problem there.

1 Like

Which video? Can you point us there?

Probably not - it was a while ago, maybe as far back as the ones from Chestnut or Dogwood. That image is part of a frame and I think the back of the phone was shown and battery taken off. It was posted in the blog.