New Post: Librem 5 4500mAh Battery Upgrade

So maybe the problem is with marketing, not with Linux? And who is marketing Linux this way?

And Iā€™m thinking that it is possible to swap the batteries without powering off the phone just by plugging in the charger during the swapā€¦

4 Likes

Yes, it is possible. You can even power the whole phone entirely from powerful enough charger with no battery at all.

11 Likes

I would only recommend getting a spare battery if this basically is how you intend to use the phone i.e. keep a spare fully-charged battery at all times and when the installed battery is almost empty, swap to the spare - so you double the number of hours that you can operate for.

However I wasnā€™t clear on whether there is any easy way of charging a battery outside of the phone i.e. a standalone charger.

1 Like

Librem 5: baby seals quiver in fear! :joy:

iā€™m having a hard time figuring out if iā€™ll need to plug it in the UPS or not ā€¦

where i am currently located, the electrical grid is unstable sometimes. what built-in electrical protections does the L5 have if, for instance, one were to NOT plug it in the UPS when in convergence mode ?

1 Like

Whatever protection it has will not be on par with a UPS, I would guess. So use the UPS if you have to protect your appliances against the grid.

2 Likes

yes. that, and the fact that this IS an expensive appliance !

I too was wondering about this. If someone buys a secondary battery, how would it get charged? I certainly donā€™t want to use the phone as a charger.

2 Likes

Those are two rather important pieces of information from use perspective. Should be made know in the official FAQ and manual (if not already).

1 Like

I would buy a spare battery, and I recommend everyone to do that because:

• free shipping as it would come with the pre-ordered package.
  • only Purism make them
  • easy swapping
  • fast charging affects the batteries, having two of them helps prolonging their life
  • convenience having a spare fully-charged battery around
  • itā€™s not that expensiveā€¦ I guess

@Kyle_Rankin, can we pre-order the spare battery (and other accesories) so to be sure you have them on stock at the moment our phoneā€™s shipping time arrives? It can give you an idea of your stock needs too.

2 Likes

Yes, here: https://shop.puri.sm/product-category/phones/accessories-phones/

In the shipping confirmation email we are sending out, we also point people to that page and if they placed an order for accessories we ask them to share the order # with us so we can link the two orders together and ship them at the same time.

3 Likes

But will it work for Europe? AFAIK I cannot order a battery from the US, right?

So, if I got it right then I order the battery now and pay for the shipping. Purism will not ship my order as yet.
When I receive my Librem 5 order confirmation email, I mention my order number for the battery, my Librem 5 and battery orders will be combined into one package and shipped. Purism will then revert back the shipping payment I make for the battery order.

Did I get everything right?

3 Likes

Yes! Thatā€™s exactly right. Just to prevent any confusion it probably also wouldnā€™t hurt if you mentioned in the order comments field that youā€™d like this to ship with your Librem 5 order.

5 Likes

Will there be or does somebody make a compatible standalone charger?

$50 shipping cost to Romania for one battery. Auch!.. If I add to the cart also an SD card the shipping cost become $64. Even if these money are returned to me, the non-negligible currency conversion costs and possible lock on this sum for a few months until my phone ships make me not to pre-order now the accessories.

Maybe this process can be simplifiedā€¦ like using special coupons on order, or a special shipping itemā€¦ Or maybe it just not worth the trouble.

1 Like

No, the request was for a standalone charger - so that you can charge a spare battery outside of the phone.

Donā€™t place your accessories order until you receive your ā€œpre-shipping emailā€. Then there should not be months of elapsed time, perhaps only a week or two of elapsed time.

The rules vary from country to country, parcel carrier to parcel carrier - so do you research - but ā€¦ you should get away with ordering a spare battery with your phone. The phone obviously has a battery inside it - and the rules typically compromise to allow you to ship a battery if itā€™s inside a phone, even though whatever risk of spontaneous combustion is there probably still exists. If the rules didnā€™t make that compromise then it would near impossible to order a phone (or a laptop or ā€¦) from overseas.

Perhaps Purism needs to engineer an ultra-cheap, mockup phone that is devoid of components - in which to ship spare batteries. :rofl:

1 Like

taxidermy ā€¦ only for digital devices :joy: what a great idea

3 Likes