New Post: Librem 5 File Transfer

Need to access your phone files? Use a USB flash drive, USB cable, or transfer over WiFi, securely and quickly:

10 Likes

That’s actually great compared to Android or iOS!!

5 Likes

When will this be installable via the pureos store? I can’t find it there at present.

Why do we need this if we have SSH over Wifi or USB tethering to any Linux or FreeBSD laptop?

Because options are good.

3 Likes

Could be wrong, but this seems to be a nice simple when I want to share x file, with someone near me. Thus I start this up, share it for a brief time, then it stops being shared when I close it.

Only thing to make this better would be to allow the program to show a QR code that the other phone could parse to just get the download location of said file making the transfer really simple.

Granted, I haven’t tested it, and thus could be wrong about how this works.

1 Like

That would be simple to do if the phones are on the same wifi network with qrencode.
qrencode -o url.png '<url>'

1 Like

Parts like Jumpdrive I believe will end up in the PureOS store. To test out the app in the video run the following:

3 Likes

Sounds good,
I guess I’m mostly just confused about why it’s being offered as something to install in your local homedir instead of being put up on the librem store and being installed as a system application. As this appears to come from purism, it would seem logical to put it into the purism store for normal download (at some point). Then it can receive any updates for bugs or features requests through the normal update channel instead of us needing to manually update the git repo.

I do appreciate you doing the work to make this happen.

The qr code suggestion was more of a not so subtle feature request. As no one’s going to be impressed by me trying to type that on the command line to offer up the url to them (would likely take less time for them to just type it in on their phone).

I installed the jumpdrive but on boot it gives an error. so no file transfer

Or you can just install an ftp server on the L5, get a usb-c to ethernet adapter and ftp your files up/down. Super fast, just make sure to turn off the ftp server.

Oh please not. Just use SCP then.

4 Likes

Yes, best to avoid FTP wherever possible.

A bunch of ways of using SSH (SFTP subsystem) are possible. I’m using sshfs so that the host computer can access files on the Librem 5 as a normal (remote) file system. (I do that over WiFi because I couldn’t be bothered with a cable, particularly as the supplied cable is with the charger. That is fast enough for my purposes, which is mostly synching the Librem 5 with new music files from the server.)

using jumpdrive finally works. But this option still can use some work. Such as direct, out of the box, access to L5 by just attaching the USB cable.

At home I do SSH/SCP as well over Wifi between the L5 and my FreeBSD laptop or my MacBook. At work (8 hours a day) I can not use Wifi because the L5 is on a guest-AP and the MacBook at the enterprise Wifi. So I use the original USB-C cable and a DHCP server on the Mac which gives the L5 an IP addr on the usb0 interface. So I can do as well SSH between both. And at the same time the Mac charges the L5 over the USB-C cable.

1 Like