New Post: Librem 5 USA At Shipping Parity: New Orders Ship Within 10 Business Days

I definitely understand your concern. It would probably be a bigger concern if we were running Android, where the OS is built on the assumption that a user will upgrade their hardware every 2-3 years and the OS and apps grow in bloat to fill the available space (often because the developers themselves are developing and testing on the latest greatest flagship hardware). This is why so many Android users focus so heavily on comparing tech specs. It really matters to have the latest and greatest hardware when running that OS. I have plenty of personal experience with once-speedy Android phones that even once they get too old to get OS updates, still tend to get slower with time because the apps that update demand more resources.

But desktop Linux doesn’t operate on those same assumptions and that’s one reason why traditionally you have been able to take an old computer that was “too slow” to run Windows (between update bloat and spyware), and install Linux and essentially have a new computer. Android is the new Windows.

Even beyond that, we continue to work on optimizations for this hardware and as someone who has been using various iterations of a Librem 5 as my daily driver for a few years now, you can definitely feel the difference (and improvement) over time.

3 Likes