New Post: Manufacturing the Librem 5 USA Phone in the United States of America

Motorolla: $10,000,0000,0000 ($10billion) company can’t afford to manufacture a small subset of custom phones in the US. Hmmm… sounds odd. :thinking:
I think what they really meant to say was “yeah, this PR stuff isn’t yielding as much profit as we we would like”. :money_mouth_face::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

Another part of the parts story is replacing the End of Life (EOL) 3GB RAM for (the more expensive) 4GB RAM (that still represents itself as the 3GB max available from the CPU)

Does this mean at some point we can do a firmware upgrade and access the extra gig? That’d be a huge help.

They’re using trains and carrier pidgins to be more eco-friendly. :wink: :+1:
Warning: Carrier pigeons may have rabies so best not to interfere!

2 Likes

I wondered the same thing - or I would do if I had a Librem 5 USA.

1 Like

Has anyone on this forum ordered a L5 USA? Especially within the last month or two? I’d sure like to see a tracking thread to see if these are actually shipping in 60 days or less.

Motorola released the Moto X when it was owned by Google, and Google could afford to spend money on expensive experiments like manufacturing in the US. In contrast, Lenovo expects to make money on its hardware sales and can’t afford expensive experiments that lose money. Lenovo announced in January 2014 that it was buying Motorola Mobility from Google for $2.9 billion, and then Motorola announced in May 2014 that it would be shutting down its Fort Worth factory by the end of the year.

Yeah, I checked for the Micron MT53E768M32D4DT-053 WT:E at the electronic suppliers, and none of them had it in stock. I always thought that it was a bad idea for the L5 to use expensive automotive-grade RAM, rather than standard RAM.

The article in your next post points to Japan however. Dated 22 March, subtext says 3 months to return to normal. Well they got 12 more days!

You can create one for the L5-USA following the format from the other tracking threads.

2 Likes

Ohhh right. I forgot about all that back then. Now I remember all the hubbub. The stats I saw were from Wikipedia. :crazy_face:

I believe so, yes, but it is up to them to out themselves. Given all the “politics of envy” s… we’ve seen recently, perhaps they are keeping their heads down. :rofl:

2 Likes

looking forward for my x-mas present (for myself g)
one question: have you considered to also manufacture the chassis in the USA? Would be awesome to be able to buy a phone without giving any money to a regime (via taxes of manufacturer).
Than it would truly be a freedom phone :slight_smile:
Guess additional price wouldn’t skyrocket cause of this. But you had one more selling point. Even its not about security.
congratulations anyway!!!
(even your motivation to produce it in USA is a different than my motivation to buy it, I have say thank you very much!!!)

3 Likes

Of course USA agencies act more freely abroad. In just todays news here in Australia in relation to the big crim sting through the week is the not surprising news that the FBI used Australia’s laws to round these crims up and the statement that American law enforcement continually “jurisdiction shop”. How can people forget “rendition” and prisoners being taken to countries where they were tortured in despicable ways not allowed on American soil. This whole technique is dangerous and a threat to us all.

3 Likes

And they can sell a U.S. Flag motif bounce protection accessory.

For ones made elsewhere, a motif protection accessory of the county of origin?

Addendum: Even a hard casing anodized with the flag of country of origin?

I haven’t seen anyone say that they’ve received their L5 USA yet. I guess we should start seeing the first ones on here before long, right?

Maybe. It would be good OpSec to not disclose that they paid a premium for extra special security. Does it matter? Just about everything will be the same as the phones that were shipped before.

1 Like

Na, just hiding from all the haters after allegedly “cutting” in line :wink:

5 Likes

Be bold, give us a hearty “Nyah, na, na, ne, nyah, na!”

Nevermind?

So if these are shipping and I ordered mine months ago…Where is it?

I guess if @Zimmy ordered his 13 months ago and just received it, you should receive yours very soon? :man_shrugging:

Sorry to be direct but that is bullshit.
Ordered mine on 5 July 2021. Still awaiting shipping.

How does the global chip shortage affect the internal US chip production/logistics?

Why not to remove the “Now Shipping! Place your order now, get in approximately 6 to 8 weeks!” bullshit from this page?

1 Like

We started shipping through L5 USA earlier in the year but haven’t gotten through the backlog as quickly as we wanted. Even though the electronics are manufactured in the US, and we try to source as many of the components from US sources, we still have to rely on the global supply chain for some electronics components and continue to hit challenges on that front. We are working on it and hope to get through the backlog soon.

5 Likes