New Post: Purpose-Built Smartphones for Government vs. Commercial Off-The-Shelf Devices

7 Likes

This should give the dev budget a boost.

1 Like

I have a vision about at fourth hardware toggle switch that lets the government user go from the “high side” to the “low side” and vice versa.

Remember, the switch has to be “break before make” and to clear the screen first. Seprate memory chips of course, on different channels (bus). (Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.)

2 Likes

If I had the money to change the world and do that, I would start with a “gameboy power switch.” When the switch is on, the battery is connected to the handset and it turns on. When the power is off, the battery is disconnect and no power goes to anything on the device. Just like a gameboy from y2k.

Edit:

More on topic, before I even finish reading the article, he asks:

Should enterprise and government centralized IT organizations deploy Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) devices such as the iPhone, Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy and attempt to secure them, or should organizations mandate purpose-built, work-dedicated devices where security is the default?

As someone using Librem 5 for a year, I say:
No! No one should put up with it. Private individuals shouldn’t either. Go to your family members and loved ones, and tell them, “You’re worth it! You’re worth saying no! No shady person in a third world country should have a graph on a map of when and what time you went to the bathroom! Don’t tell me it doesn’t matter! Don’t accept that your life doesn’t matter!!!”

3 Likes

There could be a vIPer card instead of the Purism Key for “high side” voice. It would probably work far better than an actual vIPer.

Something else that caught my attention. They said it was using a 5G network? Maybe that means the contract is currently supported via 4G and Purism is working on a 5G upgrade???

2 Likes