New Post: Shipping new SparkLAN Wifi cards with Librem 5

Could be those updates have already been rolled out: my bt-performance earlier today was flawless as well.

Just an FYI when you are working with the tiny RF connectors on these cards. I took apart my L5 for the sparklan card upgrade and part of that is removing the frame and the bm818 module according to the instructions. I have repaired many cellphones so I know enough to not be a bull in a China shop with these things.

I used a plastic spudger to disconnect the RF connectors to carefully remove them. Well when I went to reconnect the BM818 the AUX antenna cable wouldn’t reattach. Well I had a closer look and the surface mount connector on the board was gone. I’m sure lost in the cracks of my hardwood floor somewhere. Now I need a new modem.

It seems like a defect to me as it should survive multiple connections during its lifetime.

On a positive note the wifi is definitely snappier. Will test the bluetooth next.

2 Likes

From the photo, I get the impression that it looks like a cold solder joint is to blame.

1 Like

I was told this is not covered under warranty. I actually have some smt u.fl connectors, just need to figure out the best way to do it.

I guess that it’s a BroadMobi problem, not a Purism problem. You’ll need some flux and a very fine-tipped soldering iron to attempt a fix.

The toughest part will be how to hold that tiny connector in place. I have a fine tipped iron.

I love it that we now have the option of repairing our own cell phone! You’ll need some tweezers and a third hand…

1 Like

Turns out the u.fl connector is stuck inside the cable connector. I used a spudger to get under the connector to remove it to apply vertical force on the cable. I did not apply sideways pressure. Clearly the force holding the cable to the connector was stronger than the solder joint holding the connector to the pcb.

I feel like this should be a warranty claim but the word I got was no. What are people’s thoughts here? This phone is touted as a user upgradable/ fixable device but if you happen to have a defective unit, to bad so sad you eat the cost of any defects that present themselves.

I have very mixed feelings about this phone now.

1 Like

I recall reading somewhere either on the Purism website or on the forum that these antenna connectors are very sensitive and not intended for regular attachment / detachment. So it is known that they would survive only a few card exchanges. Very unpleasant.

1 Like

In my case not even 1. That begs the question is there a way to remove the card without detaching them?

Yes, really unpleasant that your broke on the first detachment.
Btw. I found the documentation that warns about their fragility:

Note that these connectors are rated for 10 duty cycles, so you should avoid disconnecting and reconnecting the module if possible.

Replacing the WWAN Module - Purism - Librem products documentation

2 Likes

Yes but mine didn’t survive a single duty cycle. I didn’t wrench it off.

But isn’t the thread about the Wifi, i.e. WLAN module and not about the modem?

Yes but in order to install it correctly you need to remove the frame to reroute the one cable for the wifi module which means removing the bm818 module. At least that’s what the instructions say. If the frame can be removed without detaching the bm818 module that would have been good to know.

Does Purism offers the replacement of the Wifi card as paid service together with the card purchase itself? I own a 2nd L5 and could send it in. It was already for repair a year ago with Purism here in Germany (at least the postal addr was a German one).

Yes that is an option to send it in.

I do not see it to buy at: https://shop.puri.sm/shop/sparklan-wnfb-266axibt-wifi-module/
I will contact support@ by email.

1 Like

Please let us know if they offer this service and what they charge for it.

FYI, there is actually a tool that was developed by Hirose who invented the u.fl connector for removing cables safely:

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Hirose-Connector/U.FL-LP-N-2?qs=Ux3WWAnHpjCuSi9TUnIZlg%3D%3D&gclid=CjwKEAjwkK6wBRCcoK_tiOT-zFASJAC7RArij7gcDWnZjjimSqV_E8X92NuLpSp9fvjTayDhO1MHDhoC0k3w_wcB

3 Likes

When I read the U.FL-LP-N-2 Datasheet (PDF) correctly, you need not only the Extraction tool, but also the Insertion tool.
When I add the price of these tools to the already spent costs of the SparkLAN card, it all becomes less and less interesting to upgrade my L5 in the future. Way too expensive.
This could all be made less expensive when Purism would deliver from a store located in the EU and perhaps includes the needed tools with the SparkLAN card.