New Post: Sneak Peek of the Next PureOS Release on the Librem 5

Check out the upcoming release of PureOS:
https://puri.sm/posts/sneak-peek-of-the-next-pureos-release-on-the-librem-5/

15 Likes

This seems to become a really neat release. Many useful and long requested things are coming up. Thanks to all involved people!

I guess after there is a preinstalled working camera app (which shouldn’t take too lomg from now, seeing the latest progress on camera support) nearly all critics’ arguments on the phone are fading away…

3 Likes

This looks really slick, great job David. I noticed it’s using GNOME Maps. Any reason to use this vs. Pure Maps? Is one working better than the other, or does one have better features?

Edit: I see that PureMaps is indeed having some issues running.

Yes, the ability to launch KDE on the external monitor is really nice, and above what I expected. That way, I do not have to shutdown Phosh on the phone’s screen. I have used Trinity Desktop Environment for a while, is a fork of KDE 3 because Linux distributions switched to KDE 4 before reaching feature parity. Hopefully modern KDE has had a chance to catch up to its past.

1 Like

Seems interesting,
How far off is “around the corner?” weeks? months? Next year?

2 Likes

Yes how long to wait for Byzantium to arrive for L5? @guido.gunther

1 Like

Packaging pure-maps for Debian is a bit tricky, as it has not been done before, and it is not quite straightforward due to the dependencies (which also have not yet been packaged). I think I am the first to ever produce .deb files that make the installation of pure-maps on Debian possible (when not locally compiling the source directly).

Details and links to my .debs are here: HOWTO: Get pure-maps navigation running on byzantium

6 Likes

Is the new file manager Portfolio? I’ve been using that on the PinePhone and it’s really good.

Adaptive nautilus.

8 Likes

awesome, this means I’ll be able to access WebDAV mounts

2 Likes

That’s excellent because the lack of a nicely fitting file manager is keenly felt at the moment.

An assumption perhaps? I hope so too though as I have some WebDAV stuff. Then there are other virtual file systems that I would hope for support for (e.g. sftp). We can live in hope, right?

1 Like

yes, it’s an assumption. In the video of the announcement you can see at 1:15 the nautilus sidebar with bookmarks and mounted (remote) drives. When you create a Nextcloud account with GOA it automatically creates a WebDAV bookmark in nautilus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to emphasize the topic of convergence. You can download a copy of PureOS byzantium *.iso image and test out yourselves the newer versions of applications that will be available on the Librem 5, because, like the video says: convergence.

So if you wanna have a sneak peek at adaptive Nautilus, the terminal (kgx), Image Viewer that fits the Librem 5 screen, you can just spin a VM with PureOS Byzantium ISO image: https://downloads.pureos.net/byzantium/gnome/2020-11-20/pureos-10~devel-gnome-live_20201120-amd64.hybrid.iso

Please update the image when you spin it up :wink:

3 Likes

can we expect an update to the * byzantium *.iso image soon(ish) ? gedit and nautilus broke for me with the last updates this week … luckily emacs … on LMini

I believe that is being worked on