New Post: The Simplicity of Making Librem 5 Apps

[Note: This thread is intended to be a discussion thread for the topics in this post. Please keep your replies on topic. Some examples of off-topic replies include:

“Any news on Librem 5?” (When we have news to publish we publish it in its own post.)
“I have a support request.” (These are better handled with the Purism support team.)
“I want to air a personal grievance.” (You can do that in your own topic.)
]

Getting started with developing applications for a mobile platform can be a challenging task, especially when it comes to building and testing the application on the mobile device itself.

The Librem 5 makes its application development workflow extremely simple.

• You don’t need to worry about registering a developer account with some parent company.
  • You don’t need to register your testing devices and ask the permission to a parent company just to be able to build and run your applications on those devices.
  • You don’t need to “Jailbreak” your devices in order to access some restricted software or hardware features.
  • And the best part is that you don’t need to worry about cross platform compiling because you can use the development tools directly on the phone.

The “quick start” video below that I made for the Librem 5 developers documentation demonstrates how quickly you can get up and running with making your own GTK applications on a Librem 5.

Read the rest of the post and watch the video from the link below:

9 Likes

Please more of them !

Tutorials about: How to use “APIs from the Librem5” - Mic, Audio, GNSS, CAMs etc.

This could be funny :wink:

3 Likes

I like the way an XML file is used for the UI definitions. Looking to the format I guess that a Glade3 generated file will do as well. Tell me if I’m wrong.

Edit 3d later: I took the time to check the docs. No worries, Glade can be used to create the UI XML for gbuilder.

Hacker news discussion: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26770486.

Hi @francois-techene, an obliquely related two-part question to this admittedly old post, since I’m hoping to dip my toe at least into the process of adapting existing desktop apps:
1 - Is there anything in Byzantium that would much alter the process?
2 - What USB-C hub did you use?

Thanks!

Hi ecs,
To answer your questions :

1 - I would recommend upgrading to Byzantium so you get the latest software and libraries. Especially for Libhandy which is at its latest version on Byzantium. I also personally use GNOME Builder from Flathub to have the latest version.

2 - I use a Digitus docking station that I found in a local shop in my town (but I guess you can find it on the Internet as well). It is a bit tight for the Librem 5 but it fits anyway and works out of the box.

1 Like